Problems with fragrance

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I used some fragrance from Hobby Lobby (Something Fabulous, Fresh Rain) that is supposed to be for soap, but I'm thinking that it's for MP.

I tried it twice, and the first time I just thought that I mixed too much. The second time, at the the first sign if minimal trace, I stopped using the stick blender and mixed it by hand. There was maybe 1 minute of stirring at this point (half with stick blender on, half off).

The first time, the entire thing seized up in the pan. It accelerated so fast that I didn't have enough time to do anything other than glop it into a mold or two. Right now it looks like really compressed cotton candy. I think there's a rebatch in my future.

The second time I had about 80% poured into my mold when it didn't pour and I had to help it along with a spoon. It started off similar to pouring pancake batter and ended up similar to almost setup cement.

Both times it gelled right away and put out quite a bit of heat. I used the same recipe both times(6 pound batch), 24 oz coconut, 32 oz shortening, 17 oz peanut, 17 oz olive, 6 oz grapeseed. I used 3 oz of the fragrant oil each time.

Is this just the behaviour of this oil? Would mixing at a lower temperature help?

Jamie

Jamie, it does sound like your FO has created a seize in your soap batter. Working with lower temp will help, but it depends on the FO just how much :wink: Also, some soapers add the FO to the oils and SB in well before adding the lye - this can help along with the lower temps. Otherwise, do not discount your water (ie. use the full amount for a recipe) and be ready to move to your mould fast. Also as you worked out, hand stir!

Tanya :)

Latest posts

Back