Problem with lip balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simoneex

Reaction score
I tried making lip balm last night, all went well .. Or so I thought! Once out of the fridge my lip balm begins turning back into liquid form!
While its hard from the fridge it feels great, just like it should but I can't carry it around incase it leaks!
I was wondering if this is because I used soy wax? I didn't want to use beeswax as once I've mastered a few things I'd like to sell and be able to cater to everyone and the other vegetable waxes available I have to order in from Perth which would take too long, especially after order 1kg of soy wax ><
Has anyone else used soy wax in lip balm and managed to get it working?

Soy wax is softer than beeswax and melts at a lower temperature. If you just substituted soy wax in place of the beeswax in a recipe, you will have to increase the percentage of soy wax or solid butter(s) in your recipe to get a product that is stable at normal room temperature. Some ideas:

Try increasing the soy wax to 1/2 or more of the recipe.

Add a solid butter (mango, shea, babassu, etc) if your recipe does not include one.

Increase the percentage of butter in the recipe in addition to or instead of increasing the soy wax.

Switch from a softer butter (shea for example) to a firmer butter with a higher melt point.

I agree with DeeAnna.. also I like to use cocoa butter which is very firm and a little goes a long way. Deodorized is best though if you are doing flavors.

I use vegan wax.. are you able to get candellila? Its very firm.

Thanks a lot guys! I scooped out my balms, remelted with more wax and presto! They stay solid even when we have the fire going at home!
I really want to try candellila wax but I think I'd have to order it off of eBay, I don't know if I'd have the patience to wait for delivery haha :)

Latest posts

Back