tips for lip balm tubes?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I made my first lip balm in tubes tonight. I have one of those stands that can hold 100 tubes at once. Because it was my first batch ever tonight, I only did 25 as a test. On the one hand, it was manageable to pour before everything cooled off. On the other hand, it's effort and dishes for such a small amount. Do the experts have any recommendations and tips on quantity? Or any tips in general?
I'm using @IrishLass 's recipe with bees wax, coconut oil, and sunflower oil.

I have one of those tube stands and I've only ever had one batch of tubes that fit in it. Very frustrating!

These days, I use line up my tubes one row at a time on a Silpat and pour using a scientific beaker. I find that the Silpat helps stabilize the tubes and the beaker has a good little pour spout. Mind you, I only make small batches (24 tubes-ish) at a time. Last time I made lip balm, I made 4 batches at the same time, each in its own beaker.

I have one of those tube stands and I've only ever had one batch of tubes that fit in it. Very frustrating!

These days, I use line up my tubes one row at a time on a Silpat and pour using a scientific beaker. I find that the Silpat helps stabilize the tubes and the beaker has a good little pour spout. Mind you, I only make small batches (24 tubes-ish) at a time. Last time I made lip balm, I made 4 batches at the same time, each in its own beaker.
Thanks for the tips! Yeah, my stand was hard to figure out. For several minutes I thought the vendor had sent me the wrong size because I couldn't figure out how to get the tubes in the framework. Then I figured out that the tubes stand upright on the table and the framework goes on top of the tubes. I love my silicone measuring cups so now I think I'll do what you do and make several cups at a time.

I made 12 tubes of tinted lip balm last month and I rubber banded them all together and poured from a small pitcher. Worked well for me, although they were the bigger .5 ounce roll up tubes. The pitcher is pretty cool, I got it with a WSP lip balm kit I ordered last year. It’s the perfect size for small batches like mine.

Here's how I did mine. Four small batches (about 24 tubes each) in beakers. The basic ingredients are the same, only the flavours differ.

20211111_134330_HDR.jpg

I had never had a problem with tubes fitting in the holder until this year. I had always considered various suppliers interchangeable. Something has changed, maybe manufacturers with different specifications. I had a package of tubes too small for the caps and too small for the stand. I have gone back to only buying tubes/caps from the same vendor where I purchased my stand.

I had never had a problem with tubes fitting in the holder until this year. I had always considered various suppliers interchangeable. Something has changed, maybe manufacturers with different specifications. I had a package of tubes too small for the caps and too small for the stand. I have gone back to only buying tubes/caps from the same vendor where I purchased my stand.
thank you for this info. I am finally ordering a tray from my lip balm and will make sure that I only order tubes from the same supplier.

I make about 20 at a time usually. I just stand them all up on the counter and fill them using a pipette...3 pipettes full to fill mine. It's a little time consuming, but I don't have a steady hand, so at least I get all of the balm into the tube with no mess.

Latest posts

Back