Problem after being cured

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debby

Reaction score
Does anyone know why this has happened on my soap? It’s now cured for 6weeks but there is a circle in the middle of the soap, some pieces have a larger circle.
The soap is hard not soft and has a good lather.
I used peppermint essential oil
The recipe was 40 sat and 60 unsat.

Attachments

• B7AC44F3-C6F9-4298-9887-15CD237A839B.jpeg
    B7AC44F3-C6F9-4298-9887-15CD237A839B.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 18
I agree with lsg that it looks like partial gel. The larger circles were likely cuts from the center of the mold. I do think though that you would have seen this as soon as the soap was cut. Did it not appear until after it was cured? Or maybe you just didn't notice it when you cut it?

Thanks, do you know why that would have happened? The end slices have a smaller circle. Can I use it anyway or do I just throw it? So annoying as others made haven’t done this.
I agree with lsg that it looks like partial gel. The larger circles were likely cuts from the center of the mold. I do think though that you would have seen this as soon as the soap was cut. Did it not appear until after it was cured? Or maybe you just didn't notice it when you cut it?
Yes, you are right, there aren’t any circles on the end pieces, the the circle becomes larger towards the centre. I didn’t notice this when it was cut after 48 hours, knowing me I was too taken with the colour! I’ve just seen on the Internet a lady putting her partially gelled soap in the oven, but I’m presuming she did this just after she cut it not 6 weeks afterwards?!

Looks like partial gel. Has had to have been there since u cut it, but probably more noticeable with the change in color of the soap with curing. JMO.

Thankyou Isg, Dibbles and IslandSoap
Now reading up on the this problem, I didn’t realise I had of choice of letting the soap gel or preventing it from gelling. Well I didn’t know that partial gelling existed! 🤦🏻‍♀️ Thankyou!

Partial gel is only cosmetic and is perfectly safe to use. Gel phase will start in the center, and work out to the ends/sides. If the loaf doesn't completely gel, you will get the ring.

It is a very pretty pink color!

Partial gel is only cosmetic and is perfectly safe to use. Gel phase will start in the center, and work out to the ends/sides. If the loaf doesn't completely gel, you will get the ring.

It is a very pretty pink color!
That’s good news it’s only cosmetic but still annoying for me! :) I suppose I’m going to need to make sure I cover my loaf mould with a blanket or something! At the moment it is in a wooden frame an I cover it with a towel so it’s obvioukdy not enough! Yes, I like the colour too, I put a tiny amount of red iron oxide mineral at trace with the essential oil.
Oh well, better luck next time! :)

Thanks Earlene!
Do you think this can only be done when the soap has just been cut? Just wondering if it was possible to do after 6 weeks, but I would doubt it!
Thanks again 😊 better than the video I had just found on the Internet.

Thanks, do you know why that would have happened? The end slices have a smaller circle. Can I use it anyway or do I just throw it? So annoying as others made haven’t done this.

Yes, you are right, there aren’t any circles on the end pieces, the the circle becomes larger towards the centre. I didn’t notice this when it was cut after 48 hours, knowing me I was too taken with the colour! I’ve just seen on the Internet a lady putting her partially gelled soap in the oven, but I’m presuming she did this just after she cut it not 6 weeks afterwards?!
That might have been me putting the partially gelled slices in the oven?? I posted not so long ago...
I think I cut into my soap too soon, I cut it after 24 hours but it was very soft when I cut into it... I realised it was partial gel so I put it in the oven on very low for a bit (I'd read something on the internet), and I think it helped a bit... I then put the slices back together and put them back in the mould overnight... when I looked at them again the following day, it looked like the gelling was ok but there were ring marks where the original circles had been... interestingly, when I cut one of the slices in half, it was more firm than the day before...
So, I probably unmoulded it too soon before the gel had happened, or it wasn't insulated well enough...
Oh, the slices are ashy now too - bit of a fail really but I'm a soapy newbie so it's to be expected lol

I don't know? But that is a good question. If you have soap that is 6 weeks old with partial gel, why not try it and let us know?
Just to let you know Earlene, it didn’t work! I put the 6 week old partially gelled soap in the oven and nothing happened- stayed the same!
Just done another batch and I’ve covered it with a old jumper, so fingers crossed 🤞 In 48 hours I will definitely take notice if partially gelled!

Just to let you know Earlene, it didn’t work! I put the 6 week old partially gelled soap in the oven and nothing happened- stayed the same!
Just done another batch and I’ve covered it with a old jumper, so fingers crossed 🤞 In 48 hours I will definitely take notice if partially gelled!

Thank you for reporting back. That suggests this method should be used earlier rather than later.

Latest posts

Back