Printer for labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use cheapo copy paper and my color inkjet for soap labels. It runs like mad if it gets a tiny bit wet. lol I think if I went with a different paper, it would help a bit more. Or, I could always just use clear packaging tape over the top of the labels, that would water proof it to some degree. I'm eye balling GotPrint.com to order some shower ready labels, but it's hard because you need to order in the 1,000's to make it economically viable, and then you can't modify them for the various product types. Bleh.

Congratulations on your purchase! It's really a cool feeling every time we print a full color page... I'm always yelling at my wife to PRINT PRINT PRINT MOOOOOORE!

Or, I could always just use clear packaging tape over the top of the labels, that would water proof it to some degree.

Congratulations on your purchase! It's really a cool feeling every time we print a full color page... I'm always yelling at my wife to PRINT PRINT PRINT MOOOOOORE!

Funny, as I was drinking some beer this evening the idea of using packaging tape over labels ran through my mind. I thought of just covering the sheet before cutting out each label. The best ideas come to me while drinking beer.. ;)

I bought matte inkjet label paper (sticky peel side) from onlinelabels.com which is supposedly waterproof, weatherproof, etc so wonder how different this will be compared to the paper you print on?

Now that we have the printer, I'm going to feel the need to print a lot too. We're going to be that annoying family that sends out photo greeting cards every holiday.. Haha

We have used our inkjet printer to print onto printable fabric. It holds up in the wash just fine (cold, gentle cycle). So I'm thinking the inks can stand up to water given the proper substrate. Let me know how those labels work out! We're going to probably buy some stickers / labels shortly. I just know the instant I send in an order for 1,000 labels I'll find a dozen things I just HAVE to change...

Isn't that the truth? I can't think of the number of times I've had to stop print runs on different projects. It pays to have a good third party editor.

Or the time when the printer sends you back a digital proof that shows there is a certain set of phone numbers on a full sized full color flyer. Then when they arrive, all 5,000 of them, there are NO PHONE NUMBERS. Then they blame it on you, because your artwork wasn't print ready. That is how GotPrint.com does business by the way. So ignore their proof, it means nothing. They are incredibly dirt cheap by the way. I still use them.

This is something so alien. I never heard of CIS system before at all.

I know, right? I didn't hear about it until a friend of mine moved to the Philippines three years ago, and got one installed by a computer shop over there as standard operating procedure. Apparently you don't own a printer there unless you have a CIS. It took a LONG TIME for me to understand what he was describing to me, and finally I came up with some key words I could punch into Google. Neither of us knew what to call the thing or where to find it over here. It was quite the journey...

Do you have any photos of the labels you print? Just curious. Can't wait until the printer gets here so I can see what all the labels I designed look like when printed.

Hope it's okay if I bump this thread up. I'm wondering how the inkjet printer is working for printing labels, if it's smudging at all, etc. I'll need to get a new printer sometime in the next few months and was going to get a laser, but the CIS system sounds wonderful!

Hope it's okay if I bump this thread up. I'm wondering how the inkjet printer is working for printing labels, if it's smudging at all, etc. I'll need to get a new printer sometime in the next few months and was going to get a laser, but the CIS system sounds wonderful!

That depends more on the substrate than the ink itself. I've printed on printable fabric and printable iron on vinyl, both of which are machine washable. Can't get much more waterproof than that. I imagine they make printable waterproof stickers, but I don't know where.

I haven't had smudging with inkjet labels for soap. When I used to make lotion, I would spray a regular label with clear acrylic sealer (I mean I would spray the whole sheet all at once), or even the cheap spray paint in clear. Worked great. Never had a smudge on my lotion labels that I can remember. I wouldn't use them in the shower, of course.

Back