Pringle Cans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmarvel

Reaction score
Does anyone use a Pringle can (s) as a soap mold?? If so, how do you calculate the amount of oil to use for 2 pringle cans??

Do you put these in the refridgerator to gell right side up?? Do you put the plastic top on it?? Do you leave it in the fridge for 24 hrs??

Sorry for all the questions......

KMarvel

I have used them in the past. You would not put them in the fridge if you want gell. The fridge would he to prevent gell. And yes they have to remain right side up, treat it like a vertical mold. I like these because I just tear them off and throw them away! Ta DA disposable mold!

And the formula for finding the amount of oil would still be length x width x height x .40

Go to the sticky post on figuring how much soap for a mold. At the bottom of the first page it tells how to figure for a round mold. And be sure to have your calculator handy. :)

I have used Pringles cans for molds, but have lined them with freezer paper so I could reuse them. We don't buy chips on a regular basis, so I like to get as much use as I can out of the can.

I worked out a while back that I needed 712.5g of oils to make soap to fill one pringles tube:

(This is my calculation, in cm and g:

Radius of tube = 3.6 cm
Length of tube for soap = 25 cm

Volume = pi x (r x r) x 25

Multiply volume by 0.7 to get oil amount needed in grams)

I too have used pringles cans and lined them with freezer paper. I had an issue with not lining one once and it volcanoed and overheated. Once I lined them I never had a problem and I could use them more than once. Your experience may vary.

I've only done it a couple times, but I found that if I wanted a complete gel it helped to wrap the pringles tubes in a towel (I used some tape to hold it in place), otherwise I got partial gel.

You won't leave the metal bottom on the can, cut it off with a sharp knife. You will need to tape the lid onto one end to act as the bottom of the mold, make sure to use lots of tape so it won't leak.
Lye reacts badly with aluminum, thats why you can't leave the metal bottom on.

You won't leave the metal bottom on the can, cut it off with a sharp knife. You will need to tape the lid onto one end to act as the bottom of the mold, make sure to use lots of tape so it won't leak.
Lye reacts badly with aluminum, thats why you can't leave the metal bottom on.

You can actually leave the bottom on the can, as it's not made of aluminum and won't react with the lye. It's easier that way because you don't have to deal with sealing the bottom of the can for leaks. I lined mine with a vellum sheet that I have, works great. I just warm the bottom of the can in the palm of my hand for a little while before I take the soap out. I have also done he tear-away-the-can method.

The Pringles cans that I have seen all have plastic coating on the sides and bottom (I'm in the US). In my ignorance I've just used them as-is, no lining, pour soap in the top and tear away when done. No reaction, works quite well and hubby likes it when I make him eat Pringles to get me more molds.

So glad I stopped the forum and saw this, I was just about to throw out some Pringle Cans!

The grocery stores around here usually have a 10/10$ sale on them too, sure to make my husband (maybe not his doctor) happy.

The Pringles cans that I have seen all have plastic coating on the sides and bottom (I'm in the US). In my ignorance I've just used them as-is, no lining, pour soap in the top and tear away when done. No reaction, works quite well and hubby likes it when I make him eat Pringles to get me more molds.

More Pringles---More Soap:p

I use them for my shaving soaps. That way I get a round soap that can be plopped into a standard mug. I do line them with freezer paper and also cut out a little piece for the bottom too. Its a snap to line the cans as all you do is roll the paper, put it in the can, let the paper fill out the can, and cut off the excess off the top. Then the soap just slides out with the paper still on it. I can unwrap my soap and then cut it. Easy peasy!

I've used them for both CP and HP soap. They work pretty nicely.

I didn't have as easy a time as Candybee with lining them, so I just snip through the metal band at the top and then peel the cardboard off like opening a can of biscuits.

Latest posts

Back