Pringle Cans

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I worked out a while back that I needed 712.5g of oils to make soap to fill one pringles tube:

(This is my calculation, in cm and g:

Radius of tube = 3.6 cm
Length of tube for soap = 25 cm

Volume = pi x (r x r) x 25

Multiply volume by 0.7 to get oil amount needed in grams)

WOW, thank you so much for the grams of oils needed. I will just convert that to oz. And 5% superfat?? Make 2 pringle cans and double the amount.

Please understand I am super math challenged so pi x (r x r) x 25 means nothing to me. haha

Kathie

You can actually leave the bottom on the can, as it's not made of aluminum and won't react with the lye. It's easier that way because you don't have to deal with sealing the bottom of the can for leaks. I lined mine with a vellum sheet that I have, works great. I just warm the bottom of the can in the palm of my hand for a little while before I take the soap out. I have also done he tear-away-the-can method.

Thank you everyone for the great threads. And giving me the correct grams of oils I need for the can. :)

The Pringles cans that I have seen all have plastic coating on the sides and bottom (I'm in the US). In my ignorance I've just used them as-is, no lining, pour soap in the top and tear away when done. No reaction, works quite well and hubby likes it when I make him eat Pringles to get me more molds.

We are now eating more Pringles in our home. haha

I have used Pringles cans but now I now use a 3" PVC pipe from my local hardware store they have worked perfect for me there are lots of videos on you tube regarding what kinds to use or not use at first I went in to buy a white one since I heard that's the kind to use after I found out they were all sold out of the white ones I bought a black one and it's worked great I can add a picture for you if you like

I'd like to see pics! How do you close the end? How do you get the soap out?

I use a crystal light cylinder too, primarily just for overflow. It's smaller but I've never had to replace it, line it or ruin my girlish figure for it LOL.

I recently started to push the soap out with a wide piece of scrap wood for a little easier removal. What do you do navigator9?

All of that said, I've had a Pringles can ready in the waits for months now, and someday I'll use it. And if it gets tweaked in its idle, well uhuuuh, I will likely replace it

I use a crystal light cylinder too, primarily just for overflow. It's smaller but I've never had to replace it, line it or ruin my girlish figure for it LOL.

I recently started to push the soap out with a wide piece of scrap wood for a little easier removal. What do you do navigator9?

All of that said, I've had a Pringles can ready in the waits for months now, and someday I'll use it. And if it gets tweaked in its idle, well uhuuuh, I will likely replace it

CaraBou, my most used recipe usually slides out, no pushing necessary. But with some other recipes, I stick it in the freezer, and when I take it out, I roll it on the kitchen counter with the palm of my hand, and then it just slides out with a little push. If they're stubborn, I use a juice glass to push. I love that they don't need to be lined and that the sides are smooth as glass...and that they're reusable. Sometimes I slice them down the middle, into half round bars, those are nice too.

I'd like to see pics! How do you close the end? How do you get the soap out?

I will send a picture when I get home I use wax paper to line the inside and to cover the bottom I also crisscross the bottom with masking tape I will send pics to show you guys what I mean later. I stick it in the freezer for a few hours to help unmold and it helps!! Slides right out

What I tried for my most recent batch was putting a small hole in the bottom of the pringles can, that I covered with a round of freezer paper. Then lined the sides of the can with more freezer paper. The soap took a little coaxing, but slid out nicely. The hole meant that the soap didn't form a vacuum against bottom of the can, and now I can reuse the can. :)

Hang onto those old Crystal Light tubes. The new ones are not round, more of a rectangular oval cylinder. :problem: Or is that a cylindrical rectangle? Well, whatever. It ain't round!
Kinda like the new ones. Nice shape for soap.

Hang onto those old Crystal Light tubes. The new ones are not round, more of a rectangular oval cylinder. :problem: Or is that a cylindrical rectangle? Well, whatever. It ain't round!

I can find that ovalish shape here too, but only in the store brand. Crystal Lite is still round.....but maybe I better check and stock up. Thanks!

Mine is oval shaped. I didn't realize there was another kind or that this was a consolation prize when it comes to soaping. Thanks for pointing that out, Dennis! :problem:

Well, you were right, Dennis. I went grocery shopping tonight after work, and sure enough, all of the Drystal Lite containers are oval now. But.....4C Lemonade still comes in the round ones, so I grabbed one before they change, too. I agree, the other shape is interesting, but I have labels designed for those round ones. Thanks much for the tip!

Well, you were right, Dennis. I went grocery shopping tonight after work, and sure enough, all of the Drystal Lite containers are oval now. But.....4C Lemonade still comes in the round ones, so I grabbed one before they change, too. I agree, the other shape is interesting, but I have labels designed for those round ones. Thanks much for the tip!

I always seem to have a little soap left over that won't fit in the mold. I took a couple of Great Value greek yogurt containers and put the leftover soap in there and insulated like I do my loaf molds. They make great oval bars of soap!!!! I can cut 2 1" bars of soap from them. No more leftover soap to throw out!! :)

Here is what they look like from the greek yogurt cups. :)

BergomotCoriander.jpg

Here is what they look like from the greek yogurt cups. :)

Those are gorgeous!!! Don't you just love it when you find free molds that are that cute? I'm gonna have to keep my eyes open in the yogurt aisle from now on. Niiiiice........very nice. :clap:

lol, we love greek yogurt and the Great value is cheaper AND I get to use the yogurt cups for soap!! win win.....

Latest posts

Back