Preservatives in Lip Balm

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cococamila

Reaction score
After reading on this oh so awesome forum I have a few questions in regards to preservatives and vitamin E.

My recipe consists of beeswax(I purchased it from a home based business. They home clean it)great reviews. Coconut oil(still working on the best one) and sweet almond oil. The smell is just awesome. It smells great and it doesn't seem to taste like anything to any of my testers ages 11 through 60. I am looking for flavoring oils not worried about it tasting sweet just so that it's more appealing to have flavors rather than boring plain lip balm. I am Planing on using NDA's products. Now do I need to Add a preservative and if so which do you recommend and what are the benefits to adding vitamin E?

Thank you for your help

I do not add a preservative to my lip balms, but that is mostly because I am not completely sure of a good broad spectrum preservative that is lip safe. They are anhydrous, so in theory they should not need one. I don't apply them to wet or moistened lips and I never ever share it. Haven't had a problem so far, but that's just my experience.

benefits of vitamin E are the antioxidant effects to improve shelf life from rancidity.

I do not add a preservative to my lip balms, but that is mostly because I am not completely sure of a good broad spectrum preservative that is lip safe. They are anhydrous, so in theory they should not need one. I don't apply them to wet or moistened lips and I never ever share it. Haven't had a problem so far, but that's just my experience.

Awesome. Thank you very much. I just thought that I had to.

Like others have said you do not need a preservative.
Not sure if you were thinking of using the vit. e as one
because it is not. I would still use the vit. e for all it's
benefits including preventing the oils in the balm from
rancidity. Your lip balm should be fine either way.

Latest posts

Back