Balm Mixture Setting Too Much Before It's Cool Enough To Add Vitamin E

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nienna

Reaction score
Hi,
So I am making a balm and every time I try to cool it enough to add the vitamin E, about 40c, so much of it just sets so its not pourable any more. The recipe says to let it cool to 40c before adding the vitamin e but it should still be pourable but its not working. Any tips?

What is your recipe? Try adding the vitamin E to your liquid oils and mixing well before you heat your oils, butters and waxes, together.

Sunflower Oil
Coconut Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Neem Oil
Beeswax
Vit e, Mixed Tocopherol
Manuka Essential Oil
  1. Place all ingredients apart from Essential Oil and Vitamin E into a double boiler and melt until liquid.
  2. Remove from the heat
  3. When liquid has cooled but still liquid enough to pour (around 45°C), add the Essential Oil and Vitamin E. Stir thoroughly to blend.
  4. Pour into your aluminum/glass pot and let set. Once it is cool you can pop the lid on and it’s ready to use.

Since beeswax has a very high melt temp, I would melt it first with the coconut oil. Once liquid and clear, add the other oils and Vitamin E. That should cool it down somewhat.

Wait until it cools to 45°C before adding the Manuka. Mix gently for one full minute to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.

Pour into containers while still fluid. If it gets too thick to pour, I nuke it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, stir and continue to pour.

Allow to set for 1 full hour (or more) before capping. I usually lay a paper towel lightly over the batch while cooling to room temp.

TIP: If making a large batch: I make up enough for 100 lip balms, but I only use enough balm to pour 25 at a time -- because it does thicken up at that point. :thumbs:

HTH and GOOD LUCK!

Since beeswax has a very high melt temp, I would melt it first with the coconut oil. Once liquid and clear, add the other oils and Vitamin E. That should cool it down somewhat.

Wait until it cools to 45°C before adding the Manuka. Mix gently for one full minute to thoroughly incorporate the ingredients.

Pour into containers while still fluid. If it gets too thick to pour, I nuke it in the microwave for 20 seconds or so, stir and continue to pour.

Allow to set for 1 full hour (or more) before capping. I usually lay a paper towel lightly over the batch while cooling to room temp.

TIP: If making a large batch: I make up enough for 100 lip balms, but I only use enough balm to pour 25 at a time -- because it does thicken up at that point. :thumbs:

HTH and GOOD LUCK!
Yeah I might jot bother to be honest. I have been trying to do that but I cannot get it to work, it's setting far too quick I cannot get it down to 45 and then it's setting on the side of the jug when I pour it so it's just too frustrating and totally unenjoyable now.

HTH and GOOD LUCK!
Actually just heard back from the company who makes the rosemary extract I'm looking at abd they have said its heat stable so I can use that instead of vitamin e since I can add it in without having to cool the mixture. So I'll swap to that.

Still waiting to hear from them about the Manuka oil as on their website it doesn't say anything about having to add it under a certain temp.

it's just too frustrating and totally unenjoyable now.
I hear you... I've felt like that before. I think you've got a really good thing going there. Take a break and come back to it later down the road. Maybe something will just click and it will come together for you. :)

Latest posts

Back