Premixing ALL my TD?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is to OK to take my entire bag of TD powder and mix it with a carrier oil so that it's just liquid and then I can put it into a bottle to keep and pour in when needed? It would be much easier - and I'm pretty sure this is what i see used in a lot of the you tube videos.

Yes, you can. With oil, it might even be easier. I use water soluble and master batch that at a ratio of 1:3 in water and have to be careful because after it sits a while has to be mixed really well (the water seems white even if it isn't really concentrated). For that reason, I only make a few batches worth at a time. I'm hoping someone who uses oil soluble will chime in.

Yes, it's certainly something you can do. Whether it makes sense to do it is another matter. Are you willing to take the time to thoroughly mix the TD and oil every time you use it? Do you soap often enough so a large batch of premix is going to get used up before the oil goes rancid?

Because TD is a heavy, dense pigment, it will settle out no matter what fluid you use -- water, oil, or glycerin. I use a tall 8 ounce (250 mL) bottle to premix a blend of TD in glycerin. I put a small ball bearing in the bottle to help with mixing. I have to shake the bottle a good minute or more to free up the ball bearing so that's telling me the TD has made a stiff and sticky layer on the bottom of the bottle. Same goes for the oxides I use, for what that's worth.

If you soap often -- every day or two -- I can see making a TD premix would be a time saver, but even then I still might make a smaller amount of premix (and do it more often) so I'm not having to shake a large container of oil and TD just to use a few teaspoons or so for a batch. And choose a good container -- one that's tall and skinny is going to be better for efficient mixing.

A way around the rancidity is to use glycerin instead of oil. I understand from others that glycerin works for both kinds of TD -- oil miscible and water miscible. You could mix a small bit of your TD with glycerin to confirm that if you're interested.

Most definitely!! I use one of the containers from the Coffee Mate coffee whiteners. The opening is large for scooping in your TD, adding your liquid (I used water soluable) putting the lid on and "shake it like a polaroid picture"!! and it has a nice flip spout for pouring into my soap when I need to use it. I was actually going to do this with some of my most popular micas as well!

Thanks all for your replies. When I say 'my entire bag' of TD, it's probably only got about 10 heaped teaspoons left in it, so I don't think rancidity would be a problem given that it would probably be used up within 4-6 months at most. My main reason for wanting to do it is so that the little white bits are fully emulsified by the time i come to use it. I sometimes find that they're not mixed properly when I make my soap and I get white 'dots'. And also, of course, its' one less thing to mix up when soaping.

I mix my micas in oil. Sometimes I mix more than I need and cover it, but I've found that I can detect an odor if I don't use it within a week or so. Not necessarily rancidity, but not right either.

I did that with the ounce I had. I didn't use a ball bearing-but I wont do it again unless I have some to put in with it. it settled to the bottom and was hard to un-settle it. I think it worked for the white spots though.

I have been mixing probably six batches worth in a small jar with water. As others have said it settles at the bottom but the water is still white.

Where I am different from the others is that I'll give it a bit of a shake but I don't worry if I don't get it all mixed back in, I just use it and seem to get just as good results. When I need to i add a bit more water to the jar and eventually get it all used.

Not only am I getting the same results I am using less TD than I would if is mixed it all in.

Thanks all for your replies. When I say 'my entire bag' of TD, it's probably only got about 10 heaped teaspoons left in it, so I don't think rancidity would be a problem given that it would probably be used up within 4-6 months at most. My main reason for wanting to do it is so that the little white bits are fully emulsified by the time i come to use it. I sometimes find that they're not mixed properly when I make my soap and I get white 'dots'. And also, of course, its' one less thing to mix up when soaping.
Have you tried mixing your TD with water rather than oil? I once had a batch that said “mix with oil” on the label but it was lumpy and I tried it with water instead and voila! Perfect.

Also is it definitely TD spots you are seeing and not stearic spots?

Have you tried mixing your TD with water rather than oil? I once had a batch that said “mix with oil” on the label but it was lumpy and I tried it with water instead and voila! Perfect.

Also is it definitely TD spots you are seeing and not stearic spots?
With my highly trained eye (LOL - I have no idea) I think they are TD spots. Here, have a look at this:
fullsizeoutput_4f35.jpeg

I actually cut through them and dragged them across the entire bar of soap.

Yep thats what I was getting when I just put the powdered TD straight into my batter. Which is a shame because I'm too lazy to premix stuff. All my micas go straight into the batter from powder and usually work fine

I seem to have good results mixing my TD into my lye solution, although wiser soapers tell me that will make all my colours more pastel.

I've seen people pre mix it with water in a squeeze condiment bottle and that seems to make it easier to shake up. I picked up a 2 pack of the non-colored ones at the dollar store for $1 (of course lol) I haven't tried to pre-mix it myself yet since I don't use it often.

Back