Pre-make 1 of 2 layers?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soapers, gotta question for the experts. Here's my design for a loaf: Use a mini-cylinder for an embedded circle that will get placed in the middle of two horizontal layers. One layer is yellow, one layer is black. The yellow layer and the mini-cylinder will have red palm oil, the black layer will not have red palm oil (red palm oil really messes with colorants, uncolored it makes a yellow 'Dial' soap). Should I:
1. Day 1- Pour the red palm batter into the mini-cylinder and bottom layer of the loaf mold. Day 2 - insert the mini-cylinder and pour the top layer. OR
2. Day 1 make the red palm mini-cylinder. Day 2 Make one batch of yellow/red palm batter for bottom layer, make second batch for black/non-red palm batter.

What I'm worried about is two layers adhering to each other. Are there more options such as forgetting 2 horizontal layers and cutting up the pre-made yellow layer into large shapes followed by the black?

The reason I'm wedded to the red palm is I need a yellow and don't have any other yellow colorants. OR am I just over-thinking this (as I tend to do for everything in my life 🤪) and I should just dump the black charcoal in red palm batter and hope I get a decent black? I'd appreciate your expertise! Thanks!

Hmmm. Not sure the layers in option two could be depended upon to stick together. However, now to think of it, I made a slab of soap that I let sit overnight and made large holes in it the next day with an apple corer and small holes with a metal straw. I filled the holes with fresh batter and everything stayed together after cure & cut. But, I still wonder if two level layers poured a day apart would stick.

I *think* AC should get the red palm batter black, but having never used it I can't say for certain. I would make the embed on day 1. Day 2 make the soap. If you are using a recipe that gives you a bit of time, make the whole batch and bring to emulsion. If your recipe gives you some decent working time and, split in two at emulsion. If your EO blend would work with a little bit of clove EO, add a bit to the first layer to speed the set-up, and stick blend layer 1 to light light trace after separating. Place the embed when the first layer will support it, and then fragrance and pour the second layer. If your recipe moves too fast for that, split the oils and lye solution and mix them separately. I've been enjoying a bit of wine tonight - let me know if this doesn't make sense. 🍷:)🍷

Latest posts

Back