potassium carbonate vs potassium bicarbonate

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey agriffin
I don't know what it is supposed to do or how you would use it, I have not graduated to liquid soap. :) But, this is what I found about both of them.

The common name for potassium carbonate is potash. It's either mined or derived from wood ashes.

The potassium bicarbonate is used to soften the effect of effervesence in club soda.

I don't think you would get similar results if you tried to interchange them. Maybe you can get potash locally at a garden center or farm supply?
HTH,
Anna

You mean for HP soaping? I've only tried sodium lactate, which works.

They are not the same. I have no idea what adding potassium bicarbonate to liquid soap will do.

Potassium carbonate is amazing stuff. I had a hard time stirring a crock pot full of paste, it was like cool taffy.... with potassium carbonate however, I can make 40 gallon batches in my kettle stirring with only a big whisk by hand. I can't imagine doing it without the potassium carbonate.

donniej said:
They are not the same. I have no idea what adding potassium bicarbonate to liquid soap will do.

Potassium carbonate is amazing stuff. I had a hard time stirring a crock pot full of paste, it was like cool taffy.... with potassium carbonate however, I can make 40 gallon batches in my kettle stirring with only a big whisk by hand. I can't imagine doing it without the potassium carbonate.

Yeah, I emailed them and they have both. So I'll go get some potassium carbonate to try with my liquid soap.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back