Post gel...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
If you encourage gel using a heating pad, what do you do once the soap has gelled? Soaps I made in individual cavity molds just went through gel an hour after I set them on a heating pad that was set on high. I set it on high, rather than low or medium, because I typically have a difficult time getting batter in cavity molds to gel. They were also in a box, with a piece of parchment paper and then a piece of cardboard laid directly across the top of the soaps for close insulation of the top and to keep the air off the exposed surface. In your experience, does the rate of cooling after gel affect the outcome in terms of soap texture, ash, or anything else I’m not thinking of?

Other than salt bars, I rarely make a batch of soap in individual cavity molds. When I use them it is for left over batter from a batch. I set my heating pad on high, and put the individual molds in a box or on a baking sheet lined with a silicone mat. This goes on the heating pad along with the mold I am using for the main batch. I also insulate well, as this is all in my basement which is cool no matter what time of year it is. I just let it go through a cycle until it automatically shuts off (I think it is around an hour). If I remember to check on it at an hour, I will turn the heating pad back on medium or low if the main batch still seems to be needing a nudge. Otherwise, it just stays there and cools off slowly with the other soap. Gelling in individual molds does seem to help with ash, but since these are just 'left overs' and I just keep them if they are very ashy, I don't pay too much attention to what does or doesn't happen with them. If they are nice, I will give them away.

I use a warm blanket as well, both with cavity moulds and slab moulds. I cover the top with cling film and just cover it with the warm blanket directly, and tuck in the side to keep it isolated. I put it on the highest for 1.5 hours normally, then I turn off the heating but keep it covered for almost 24 hours. I've honestly once forgot it on for about 5 hours and it was still fine (yet the blanket that I have doesn't go super warm)

Latest posts

Back