Possible Salt Bar Mistake

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMee

Reaction score
I made a 50% Salt Bar on 5/2/21 at 20% SF, and I think I mis measured my CO. My recipe called for the following...
CO 90% - Pounds 2.250 - Ounces 36
Sweet Almond 10% - Pounds .250 - Ounces 4

I'm pretty sure I shorted myself 2 oz of CO because I'm pretty sure I only weighed to 2 pounds 2 oz. How do I figure out what the SF is with less oil in the recipe?

Hmm, I’m not sure. Coconut oil has a sap value of .183 so for 2 oz of co oil that means it needs 0.37 oz of lye to saponify it. Where the math goes from there I don’t know but can’t wait to learn.

Look at the original recipe (the one you wanted to make). Note the NaOH weight for this recipe.

Go to the so@p recipe calculator you used and enter the recipe as you made it. Adjust the superfat percentage up or down until the NaOH weight for this revised recipe is the same weight as for the original recipe. That's your superfat.

Well, if I in fact made that mistake, the SF would be 16% rather than the 20% I was intending. I'm glad to see that the world has not come to an end, and I'm pretty sure the soap will still be nice!

Latest posts

Back