Please help with insurance question for UK members

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sheila Pullar

Reaction score
I would like to sell my soaps at a fete I live in England I use melt and pour base from Stephenson suppliers I only add water base colours and pure essential oils. Do I need a liability insurance? Even thou I'm just melting the base down? Thank you I would be grateful if any body could help me with this matter.

Hi Sheila,

I moved your post to the General Business forum because it's doubtful a UK member would see it where you originally posted it.

I will caveat this by saying that I've only looked at actually making soap, not just using a pre-made base, but it seems that the same rules apply. You need to get more than just liability insurance - you need to register with the EU and have your recipes checked by an approved party, each batch recorded with labelling and so on.

While you are just melting down a base, you are then adding in other things and so it is more than just the original base.

Here is a link to a firm that a lot of people in the UK suggest -

http://www.cosmeticsafetyassessment.com/index.php?p=1_3_About-us

And you see from that very first page, M&P is also there.

There is a thread that I started in this part of the forum, looking at the work involved to get soap to the EU market. It's a long one, but with some good pointers from various people to help along the way.

If you do have questions, though, please do ask and I'll see what I can find. But it is not a cheap idea - it costs a fair bit to get a recipe approved, so bear that in mind.

Latest posts

Back