pine tar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkevin

Reaction score
ok so it's been a week or so of reading bought a few books read several publications. in one of the books I have gives a basic cp recipe so I figure I will start there, the recipe is as follows
3.0oz lye
7.26 h20
4oz palm oil
4oz coconut oil
14 oz olive oil
most of what I have read said 15% pine tar. now my question is should I add pine tar with the rest of the oils or subtract some? I wish it would have been in % but they have it in oz. gonna try this soap for me and a few bearded relatives

I would add the pine tar in with the other oils and run the new recipe through soapcalc. Pine tar make the soap accelerate so be ready to move kinda fast once the lye is mixed in.

Yes, pine tar saponifies, so it needs to be included as part of your oils. Example -- You want to use pine tar at 15%. For a 1000 g batch of oil, use 150 g pine tar and 850 g of other oils to total 1000 g.

Concentrate on designing a recipe that is relatively hard. If your recipe is on the soft side to begin with, adding PT will only make it softer yet, especially at 15%.

Tip: Run your recipe through soapcalc using ounces, and it will show you the recipe in grams and % as well as ounces.

Dixiedragon is right .. there are lots of threads with really good info. The best info I read was NO STICK BLENDING! I stirred by hand for 10 minutes and it started to trace, then was thick pudding before I even had it all in the mold.

i made mine with 7-10% and am happy with it. my recipe is high on palm and the bars are now nice and hard.

pt has a sap value, so like others said, you should include it in your lye calculation.

no need for sb. a few minutes of hand stirring with a whisk is sufficient.

i don't scent mine. the pt smell is there for a ling time i see no point in trying to cover it up.

When I'm making pine tar soap I HP it because of how fast moving it is. Just remember it is really, really important that you run any and all recipes through a trust lye calculator.

I scent mine with lavender or lavender/tea tree. It doesn't cover up the pine tar smell, but it softens and complements it.

I did a batch at 25% pine tar which I DO NOT recommend!

Pine tar soap can stay soft for a long time - my 25% batch stayed soft for months. So make sure you are using a mold you won't mind doing without for a long time. I like to use orange juice boxes.

I like to use orange juice boxes.

I like that idea!

I used 20% pine tar and round cavity molds. After an overnight sit I put them in the freezer for a few hours and they popped out fine BUT I made them over 4 weeks ago and they're still soft enough to dent if you drop them (ask me how I know :problem:).

ok a lot of good information and I will keep reading thanks to everyone

Started using a pine tar soap made a month ago. Pine tar at 15% and 5% super fatted with 10% castor. It's still a little soft but very nice.

http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?t=40294

This was a thread on mine - some great tips that really helped me out. The final recipe is also in there.

It was a wee bit soft for a while, but is very good to use. Smells........................interesting. I like it, personally, but a lot of the smell depends on the particular pine tar that you use.

I recently made a pine tar and jewelweed soap. Beware they are not exaggerating when they say this moves fast!! No stick blending..

1395239101778.jpg

Have you ever soaped with lard? Unless you are a vegetarian or have some other objection to lard, I'd strongly suggest it for pine tar soap. It makes a hard bar, yet it's slower to trace, which is a huge bonus when making pine tar soap.

As I mentioned on EG's pine tar thread (I think) I get large paint stirrers from Home Depot (for free) to stir my PT soap. I like to be able to throw away most of the items I use for PT soap.

Well can't wait to try unfortunately have to wait for sat morn. Jobs just get in the way

Thank you! Its in the curing process now. I can't wait to try it out.

ok first try sat morn with this recipe mostly because it is what I have on hand
olive oil 25%
lard 35%
castor 5%
coconut 20%
pine tar15%
thanks for all the reading and suggestions

Back