Pine tar soap recipe help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My batch is coming up on 2 weeks old and it still feels pretty soft(the stink has gone down considerably though:)). Is pine tar soap softer than other soaps, or does it just take a lot longer to firm up than others?

Often the answer is "yes" to both questions, but it really depends on your recipe.

I agree with DeeAnna, the recipe will make a difference. My PT bars are always somewhat softer than my standard CP bars and have a different feel to them. "Spring-y" comes to mind, lol. This improves a bit with cure but never feels the same as non-PT bars.

Very good. Thanks for the info. I was starting to wonder if I messed something up. But I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Springy is a good description of what I have.

One thing is kind of strange. I made a two pound batch and put it in a two pound silicone mold. That got pretty toasty and gelled nicely. I had a little extra batter, so I put that in a little silicone muffin mold I have. The small one from the muffin pan(which didn't gel) is noticeably harder that the other stuff. There is something that stumps me out of just about every batch I make. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm drawn to this hobby.

Very good. Thanks for the info. I was starting to wonder if I messed something up. But I'm pretty sure I did everything right. Springy is a good description of what I have.

One thing is kind of strange. I made a two pound batch and put it in a two pound silicone mold. That got pretty toasty and gelled nicely. I had a little extra batter, so I put that in a little silicone muffin mold I have. The small one from the muffin pan(which didn't gel) is noticeably harder that the other stuff. There is something that stumps me out of just about every batch I make. I guess that's one of the reasons I'm drawn to this hobby.

So next time for a harder PT bar prevent gel!:think:

I just learned something without wasting any oils.:mrgreen:

So next time for a harder PT bar prevent gel!:think:

I just learned something without wasting any oils.:mrgreen:

The problem is that you would need to use small molds to prevent gelling. You have very little time to work with once you add the pine tar, so there's no way you could fill lots of small molds. Could maybe try the refrigerator trick with a standard mold.???

Is it the non-gelling? Or is it that it is loosing water faster because it doesn't have so far to migrate out of the soap? Just wondering.

Who knows?? Not me. One of the many mysteries of soap making. Keep in mind, I'm really new to soapmaking (about 2 months).

Hello, all!
I'm wondering is anyone has made this lately and have any updates. I just made a batch and appreciated the old posts here. I bought something called pine tar oil, though and it's pourable, not looking like the super thick pine tar in the cans I've seen. That gave me time with the soap, but I'm wondering if it's the same and will yield the same or at least a similar result when used. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Hello, all!
I'm wondering is anyone has made this lately and have any updates. I just made a batch and appreciated the old posts here. I bought something called pine tar oil, though and it's pourable, not looking like the super thick pine tar in the cans I've seen. That gave me time with the soap, but I'm wondering if it's the same and will yield the same or at least a similar result when used. Can anyone help?

Thanks!
This post is well over 2 years old. You'd probably get better answers if you started a new thread with your questions. More people are likely to see it that way.

Latest posts

Back