Pine tar soap recipe help needed

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosyrobyn

Reaction score
My son has psoriasis and I'm looking for soap recipe that might help. I've read that pine tar soap sometimes works so I've found a couple recipes online as a jump off point:

Recipe #1

olive oil 60%
coconut oil 25%
castor oil 5%
pine tar 10%
1 teaspoon salt ppo

Recipe #2

5% SF
1/2 oz of neem oil per 24 oz of oil after cook.

Tallow 27%
Olive Oil 10%
Rice Bran Oil 15%
Palm Kernel Oil Flakes 15%
Shea Butter 3%
Lard 10%
Castor Oil 10%
Pine Tar 10%

1 tsp of activated charcoal ppo
1/2 tsp of tea tree oil ppo
substitute the water for aloe juice or goats milk if you'd like

Recipe #3

75% lard
20% pine tar
5% coconut oil
5% castor

Does anyone have any experience with pine tar soap? Any recipe recommendations? Anything to add? Anything to take away?

For psoriasis , I'd probably stay away from the stripping oils like CO and PKO. My aim would be something gentle.

I'd go for something like:

15% Pine Tar
5% Castor
50% Lard
25% OO or Avocado Oil
5% Shea Butter

I love using calendula tea (just leaves brewed with hot water and frozen) as a water replacement in my pine tar bars. It's a gentle additive that I have been told "something is missing" when I omitted it. My particular recipe for that bar is aimed at acne though so it's a little harsher than I would imagine your son would want.

One thing... pine tar is exciting to soap. I bring everything BUT the pine tar to emulsification and then hand stir in the pre-warmed PT. It goes to instant pudding in about 10 seconds and then I have less than a minute to mold it.

For psorasis and eczema I would use a low low superfat. <3 I wouldn't recommend using a stick blender with pine tar soap. I would just whisk everything and I also wouldn't plan on swirls, swirly tops, colors or anything else fancy. I would consider what E.O.'s you might want to use.

Last edited:
I'll give both recipes a try (#3 and SnappyLlama's). Thank you for your feedback.

I've read about using neem oil for psoriasis but he can't stand the smell and won't use it. I've also made a couple recipes of gentle soap (high lard, olive oil, and castor oil) - one plain, one with goat milk and charcoal. I'm really hoping to hit on something that alleviate some of the symptoms even is it isn't a holy grail cure.

Yes, it is included as if it is a normal soaping fat, so it's part of the 100% of the fats. Hope this helps!

Is pine tar something you can buy downtown, or is it something you typically have to order online? I can't say that I've ever looked for it before.

I'll give both recipes a try (#3 and SnappyLlama's). Thank you for your feedback.

I've read about using neem oil for psoriasis but he can't stand the smell and won't use it. I've also made a couple recipes of gentle soap (high lard, olive oil, and castor oil) - one plain, one with goat milk and charcoal. I'm really hoping to hit on something that alleviate some of the symptoms even is it isn't a holy grail cure.

Neem oil is great. I believe that it is a very good choice for a soothing oil. I use Tea Tree and Orange EO and that seems to work to cover the smell. I also use Aloe Vera juice for the additional liquid when I use my 50/50 lye/water masterbatch and my olive oil I use is infused with Chamomille. This also great for a pet shampoo for Dogs. DO Not use on cats. It is great for "hot spots"

I wrote up an article with my advice on making PT soap if you're interested: http://classicbells.com/soap/pineTarSoap.html

Well that was interesting. Just made my first(and quite possibly last) batch of pine tar soap. Thanks Dee Anna for the write up! I used your Method #2 (split the batch) and it pretty much went as you described it. I didn't wait too long and was able to pour it into the mold. But wow it does setup fast.

And pine tar, that is some nasty stuff. I guess I was expecting it to be more, uh, piney. Not whatever that smell is. I added some tea tree and eucalyptus EOs to help mask the smell. It actually smells ok now.

Does this soap gel like a normal soap? How long do you typically wait until you unmold and cut?

Edit - Never mind on the gelling question. That baby is HOT right now.

Last edited:
Yep, it gets pretty warm! When a person can unmold and cut really depends on the recipe. If you use a bit higher % of fats rich in palmitic and stearic acids, you may be able to unmold the next day. At least that has been my experience. If the recipe has a lot of liquid fat, it might take a day or three to be firm enough to unmold. Also the water content has an effect too. If you use a higher lye concentration => faster unmolding.

And pine tar, that is some nasty stuff. I guess I was expecting it to be more, uh, piney. Not whatever that smell is. I added some tea tree and eucalyptus EOs to help mask the smell. It actually smells ok now.

Pine tar smells just like, well, tar! When I smell it OOB it always reminds me of newly paved streets or standing near a train track. It's certainly not a scent that appeals to all! Since you added tea tree and eucalytus it should be an okay scent in the end. Let it cure 6-8 weeks then see how you like it. I've found it mellows quite a bit with time. My DH and SIL can't live without it!

I added ginger snap fragrance oil to the recipe and it helped to get rid of the heavy pine tar smell. It now has a very nice woodsy smell to it. I cant wait to try some out one more week of curing and I will update on the outcome :)

Todd

Back