pillar candles- wanna try 'em.advice?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twilightluver

Reaction score
i would LOVE to see some of your pillar candles..(pictures)
i wanna start making them.. I have a 3x3 and a 4x4 metal mold..I need to know what wax you use and what wick to start with ..thank you..

Hiya,

Your going to need more then just wax and wick..Check some candle sites for supplies.Prices for wax/additives have skyrocketed.I've worked with 5 different kinds of wax.Paraffin,Carved,Container,Hurricane,Palm..I don't recommend palm wax..Too unpredictable,expensive and not worth the time it takes to pour.I prefer waxes that let me create my own unique styles.

Paraffin is great for people just starting out.It's more economical,easy to wick.You can do more with it,pillars,votive's,tarts,floaters,containers if you can live with the wet spots..Paraffin is easy to get out of the mold,that really helps the longevity of the molds.For you just starting out it would be perfect.

I use paraffin 140,vybar,#1 & #3 size wick,Votive,and floater wicks.
For your molds,I'd use the #3 size wick.It will have a melt pool that reaches to the edge of the candle.And still give off a nice scent throw.

For novelty molds,I use the #1 wick.Some of those molds,no matter what size wick you use they will still drip.By using the #1 wick,you can at least slow the burning down,and get the scent throw.

Good luck.

Munky.

making pillars with it?? ...
Thank you Wax Munky--- Why the vybar though?? I have the other stuff..I make caontainer candles and tarts..Have for 3 years now..Wanna get to some pillars...

twilightluver said:
making pillars with it?? ...
Thank you Wax Munky--- Why the vybar though?? I have the other stuff..I make caontainer candles and tarts..Have for 3 years now..Wanna get to some pillars...

Vybar 103 is a must have for paraffin pillars.It enhances the scent throw.It also acts as a hardener for the wax.Adding it increases your burn time.Because of the dye pigment formulas that are used for candles,vybar also makes the colors more vibrant looking.The cured pillars slip right out of the molds.They should have a beautiful sleek looking shine to them.Even if you forget to spray mold release it's ok..(Munnnkyyy!)

Without the vybar additive,you're more likely to have candles with visible air bubbles.They are harder to work out especially if you make chunk candles.What scent throw??? I've also notice if vybar is omitted the wick smokes a little more when snuffed out,then if I had added it.

It's definately noticeable as well by the feel..If not used paraffin niks easily,possibly fracture the candles.It's a slippery slope..give or take depending on the type of design your setting out to achieve.
To make mottled candles vybar is omitted,candles require a slower cooling time,and usually the scent is increased, to get that effect.Same goes if making iced (not the grubby look) just ice..with or without vybar it's noticeable..

I'll look and see if I can find you some of my pictures.To see them you'll know exactly what I mean.I've got them backed up on disks somewhere..My desks a mess.

Munky.

ohhhhh...you are a very smart lady!! Thank you for taking the time to 'splain this...

Found Em'

Ok here they are.
The first set of candles,Octagons have no vybar added.

octmulti5.jpg

octmulti1.jpg

Starts with/without.

taper4.jpg

taper14.jpg

Pillars straight vybar...Mottled.

ostud2.jpg

oflake1.jpg

Straight,Iced,and Marbled.

trigrp2.jpg

Munky.

Wax Munky said:
IanT said:
what about beeswax?

It comes from Beezzzzz :)

What about it? Not sure what your question is.

Munky.

Is it better or worse than paraffin or similar for use in pillars??

lol total nooooob ... i think ive asked you this before for some reason lol but i cant recall the answer!

and these burn great? Awesome scent throw?? OMG..I just can't get over how beautiful these are!!!!
We have a place around here that sales the marbeled ones for like $75...She GETS that much as well!! Imagine THAT!!!!!

IanT said:
Wax Munky said:
IanT said:
what about beeswax?

It comes from Beezzzzz :)

What about it? Not sure what your question is.

Munky.

Is it better or worse than paraffin or similar for use in pillars??

lol total nooooob ... i think ive asked you this before for some reason lol but i cant recall the answer!

Beeswax is a world all of it's own.It's not at all the same as paraffin.

For better or worse that's up to the individual,and their knowledge of the world of wax.Personally I wouldn't recommend that anyone who's just starting out with wax.Start with Bee's..
My reason for saying that is based on actual facts.Bee's wax is by far the most expensive wax on the market.Last time I checked it was $350.00 a case,not including shipping.Then you have the options of pellets,or sheet..Wick sizes,mold or not to mold.If one is going to sell them eventually they have to mark up the prices.People are not going to pay that kind of money in this economy.

Paraffin.is cheaper to buy by the case.Shipping is still a drag to pay for.
If I were to buy by the case it's around $70.00 now.I stocked up before the suppliers gouged,and shipping went up.

With paraffin and someone who is just learning how to make candles.It's much cheaper to use paraffin over bees..Lets you be more creative with it.A mistake made can be remelted,no scrap wax goes to waste.
Most new users to wax want to make some wicked designs.Paraffin allows them to do just that.

Around here designed paraffin candles sold like hotcakes! They are priced cheaper.But I don't make cheap candles either.And they knew that.

Ahhh but we can't forget the go green people..That's not me..I drive a tank to :shock: and make paraffin candles..But anyways,it's a two way street.Meaning the environment issues..

Munky.

twilightluver said:
and these burn great? Awesome scent throw?? OMG..I just can't get over how beautiful these are!!!!
We have a place around here that sales the marbeled ones for like $75...She GETS that much as well!! Imagine THAT!!!!!

Yes they burned great..Keep in mind the slippery slope.
If vybar is omitted your consuming the candle faster then you would if you had added the vybar.The scent throw might need tweaking just a bit.Too much scent and the candles will seep..It all has to even out.

Had to laugh at your comment "She GETS that!" No doubt about that.I did to~ ;)
Laughed myself all the way to the bank.

Good luck.

Munky.

Last edited by a moderator:
wow--- I guess this make take some time to perfect...i will order VYBAR- the wax as well as some new wicks..Thank yo for your input,your advice and your patience!!!!

Back