Pics of !st batch

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very pretty! Did you say this was your first batch of soap?....egads, I didn't so swirls for two years into my soapmaking. You are a brave soul.

Holy Cats!! That is perfect looking. May I ask what type of recipe? I am new and my bars are a little more soft than I would like.

Thanks Craftgirl. I am very new to this too. This was a OO and CO. I hand stirred for hours and it stayed at a very thin trace went ahead and pour into mold. Kept some back and colored with coco. Then swirled with chop stick.

This is a great and fun forum. They have answered many of my questions, even if I think they are dumb ones. Have fun and good soaping :D

Sonja

Martin, those are beautiful!

I like the mold alot!! What type of mold is it?

I think a shallow mold like that really helps alot with making lovely swirls!

Good job! :D

Martin said:
They have answered many of my questions, even if I think they are dumb ones.
Hey, watch it! I'm one of the dumb ones who is answering the questions! ;) ;) ;)

Re: Here are Cut Pics

Martin said:
Here it is after being cut.

cutsoap2.jpg
[/img]

This batch was before I joined. Very nice Sonja, very nice! :)

Thanks guys. My DH made the mold by laying out 4 bars of soap :lol: I love it. It is just right for 1lb batches. I use a pvc pipe for 2lb batches.

Sonja

Ah Sonja and I share our liking of 1# batches. It's a perfect size for experimentation.

Martin said:
This is pics of my very first batch

100_0348-1.jpg

Martin said:
Thanks guys. My DH made the mold by laying out 4 bars of soap I love it. It is just right for 1lb batches. I use a pvc pipe for 2lb batches.

Sonja

kay.... I'm confuzzed now :shock:

This picture looks like alot more than 4 bars of soap..... what am I missing here? :shock:

Martin said:
I think it is the angle it looks longer than what it is.

Sonja
That's gotta be it. Sonja gets 4 bars from 1# of oils. I get 4 bars from 1# of oils. My mold is 3-1/2" by 10" and makes 4 bars 3-1/2" by 2-1/2" (side by side). It appears to me that Sonja's mold is probably 14" by 2-1/2" or so and produces the bars end to end. That's probably what produces the illusion of a longer log. Also, the picture seems to have a subliminal thing going that it looks like it's laid out on a bedspread. That's obviously a much smaller blanket or towel.

And I agree with Coral, they're very nice, very elegant swirls! :)

Greg,

You are so smart :lol: The mold is 14" long. It was on a dish towel. And instead of taking the picture from the top, I think DH bent down a little when he took the picture. I guess that is why it looks longer than it is. :?:

Sonja

Not so much smart as experienced. I are a injunear in my day job. I've been doing numbers and measurements since I was a kid, and throughout my career. Also, I've been building my own molds so I've been giving mold making a great deal of attention over the last some weeks now.

I'm glad this discussion came up because you've focused me on a new factor of molds that I hadn't given any thought up to now. That's a very effective technique the way that you put on a surface ITM swirl. If I did the same thing in my mold the pattern would run across the width of the bars. I think I like it better your way, orienting the swirl along the length of the bars. It allows the swirl to proceed visually for a greater distance and I think that makes your swirl more compelling. It works better on an artistic level.

What I'm learning is that there's many different ways of making soaps, making designs, making artistic statements--and they all have something to offer in terms of uniqueness and originality. :)

Latest posts

Back