Quantcast

PH

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Lee242

Reaction score
When the soap is ready to put into mold is the PH the same as it will be after aging or will it change?

IrishLass

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
No, it's not anywhere near the same at trace as it is after aging. It will definitely change.

IrishLass :)

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Your soap batter should be pH of 13 or 14 -- highly caustic. Finished soap may be anywhere from pH 9 to 11.5 or thereabouts. So a pH of 10.6 for a finished soap is in the realm of normal.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
In order to accurately test pH of solid soap, you need a lab. On the other hand, you can zap test for free. And what you need to know is if there is free lye(hence the zap test), not the pH.

DeeAnna

Reaction score
Strips and phenolpthalien drops are notoriously inaccurate and are truly not worth using. Most people don't use the meters properly, so most pH meter readings aren't accurate either. In addition, Susie is correct that pH doesn't tell you if your soap is skin safe or not. The zap test is a better alternative for that.

Last edited:

Lee242

Reaction score
zap test
Some say don't use it some say use it.
But I'll give it a try.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try it after a week for most soaps. If you have free lye, you will know it.

Dorymae

Reaction score
Lol! You don't have to lick the soap. Just wet a finger rub it on the soap and then touch your tongue with the finger. Zap testing is very accurate and unmistakeable. If you think you may have been zapped - you have not! You will not have to question zap. It does not hurt, but is an uncomfortable sensation, not a taste. If you get a zingy taste it is the EO / FO , not zap.

TeresaT

I see you.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
OK. Somewhere on this forum is a video of soap licking. First she did the finger sudsing thing and if that was a "negative" she actually touched the bar with her tongue. That's where I got the licking soap from. (BTW, I only did it once and was spitting for hours.). :lol:

not_ally

Reaction score
I am an unabashed soap licker :) I do try only to do it w/the little stubby sampler pieces from trimming the bars, though!

galaxyMLP

SPONSOR
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm also a soap licker. All my soaps have different tastes you know... lol. The first time I zap tested a salt bar I thought "WOAH, thats salty!" next thought was "oh yeah, duhhhhh, its a salt bar!" :)