PH

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
do you mean you want to make your soap more neutral so that it won't sting? unfortunately soap by its very nature is alkaline and if you bring the pH down much you end up with a sludge.

soap stings.

you can always try a detergent bar... those are more neutral, they just aren't soap! :lol:

I believe I read somewhere that the only reason that commercially produced soaps for babies/toddlers don't sting is because they contain a numbing agent.

ugh. gosh I just responded to that somewhere else.
baby products are non-stinging because they are very neutral in pH and because non-irritating ingredients are used. not because they are numbing our eyes.

ah here it is: http://soapmakingforum.com/forum/viewto ... light=baby

(don't believe everything you read on the internet. there is just as much nonsense here as IRL, if not more)

I came across this place the other day when I was looking for something else. The entire site has some good info. Being a part of the Dept of Clinical Social Medicine / University of Heidelberg, I consider it a good source. I always try to get at least 2 reliable sources for confirmation.

http://skincare.dermis.net/content/e03g ... x_eng.html

Digit

Good article Digit. So in other words it's impossible for "soap" to be suitable for babies as far as a for a recommended ph level.

I do not know Beachgurl. I do not have much experience in washing babies, but I know you do! Twice over. :lol: :lol: You would recognize if something was not right when you used it and most have the sense to use a mild cleanser. This article basically told me the "why" of it.

This article does address the fact that skins and environments do have an impact. Somehow we have all managed to survive childhood, including the scrubbing of dirty little hands, faces, feet and everything in between. I think my mama just hung us by the ankles and let the dog clean us. :wink:

Digit

LoL .. ah yes .. and my husband wants to have another one ... a boy ... problem is ... this is the generation for two sets of twins .. *puts finger on her nose* not it. I looked like a a blimp and felt like a beached whale :D Not until someone else has a set. But on the same token .. I'm kind of scared I'll have monster whopper baby. I was a month early and they were both 7 pounds. Yes .. yes .. a lot of baths .. and diapers ...and formula ... and gosh .. kids are expensive :p

beachgurl said:
kids are expensive :p

You got that right!! Mine are 13 and 14 years old and I just had to buy my son a whole new wardrobe this year because over the summer he outgrew everything! Glad he's healthy and all but good grief...... :lol:

As for what soaps okay for use on babies....I think, like adults, they are all different. Mine used my soap (colored, fragranced and all) since they were 3 and 4 years old without any problem. Before that we didn't know about handmade soap :oops: and used that bad bought stuff.

That being said, if I was to do it all again, I would make olive oil soap and not scent it :lol: ....I've gotten more cautious over the years.

cdwinsby said:
You got that right!! Mine are 13 and 14 years old and I just had to buy my son a whole new wardrobe this year because over the summer he outgrew everything! Glad he's healthy and all but good grief...... :lol:
Yeah....they do that overnight! They empty the house of groceries just as fast. :lol: :lol:

Digit

Back