Pet Peeves!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My personal pet peeve is that I don't have magical powers which would allow me to give momentary transitive strokes to people that piss me off, annoy me or are otherwise a PITA.

But I do hate it when people walk going the wrong way at the mall. Is it SO hard to comprehend that if the majority of the people are keeping to the right [I live in the US, substitute your side of the road if your country drive the wrong way :) ] that you should as well? That and people who just stop, stand there, don't get of the way and expect you to walk around them. Oh, and people that will walk right up to you, facing you, and stop, expecting you to walk around them like it's their right of way, somehow given to them at birth. This may explain why I only step foot in the mail about once a year.

Other pet peeves... thousands, but I'm seeking counseling... probably won't work. I jest, I'm not in counseling, life is more fun being grouchy.

MissMori said:
My personal pet peeve is that I don't have magical powers which would allow me to give momentary transitive strokes to people that piss me off, annoy me or are otherwise a PITA.

But I do hate it when people walk going the wrong way at the mall. Is it SO hard to comprehend that if the majority of the people are keeping to the right [I live in the US, substitute your side of the road if your country drive the wrong way :) ] that you should as well? That and people who just stop, stand there, don't get of the way and expect you to walk around them. Oh, and people that will walk right up to you, facing you, and stop, expecting you to walk around them like it's their right of way, somehow given to them at birth. This may explain why I only step foot in the mail about once a year.

Other pet peeves... thousands, but I'm seeking counseling... probably won't work. I jest, I'm not in counseling, life is more fun being grouchy.

You are priceless! Not AMEX, but priceless.

Here's just one of my pet peeves about driving and the some of the idiots out there doing it:

You are on the highway and see a driver trying to merge into your lane. Out of the kindess of your heart you let them in and they proceed to drive UNDER the speed limit and make you come to a crawl. ARGGGGGG, this pisses me off sooooo much. For goodness sakes, we are on a highway, get with the program and go speed limit or above!

Here's a hubby pet peeve:

I have just spent 15 to 20 minutes cleaning the kitchen...putting the dirty dishes in the sink, cleaning all the counter tops with a lysol wipe, and sweeping the floor. 10 minutes later, husband comes along and decides he's hungry. ok, let's make some toast, with jelly, or cheese or whatever. Dirty plate gets put in the sink, there is jelly or whatever smeared on the counter or island, and there are crumbs on the floor. Um, excuse me, I just cleaned this place up!!!!! (have to count to ten so as not to spew out obscenties towards him that have taken over my thoughts!!!)

I just wanted to say that I also am very particular about English being spoken and written properly, at least in a professional environment. I used to work for an international organization where people making boat loads of money (salaries of over $100k) would write reports and books with advise and counsel for developing countries. When I would read these reports, it never ceased to amaze me how poor the English was. And I mean, REAL BAD grammar and sentence structure. Now I know that several of these people were from other countries and English was not their mother tongue, but dammit, if you are a professional who is making over 100K, whose book/report will be published and read by government leaders in other countries, shouldn't you take advanced English classes until you are fluent and can write a report that is grammatically correct??? I, an administrative assistant, whose salary was much less than theirs, would often get the task of editing their reports and this is NOT fair in my opinion. Well, I guess this would count as a pet peeve right? lol

Having been stuck in retail for a long while while in my teens and early twenties... I have a new respect for anyone who works behind any sort of a counter. I've worked at mall food kiosks, as a waiter, department and electronic retail stores and hotels as both a housekeeper and a front desk agent.

This has also caused me to generate a lot of pet peeves in the work place.

I am not:
Your babysitter, when you decide to leave your kids in front of the TV display or in the pool area.
Your calculator, when you're trying to figure out 35% off of a 15% off sale with a coupon... standing at the rack of clothes far away from the adding machines.
Your maid, when your kids decide to throw toilet paper all over the bathroom floor or DEMOLISH your hotel room.
'Just a flunky' standing here drooling while you yell at me. Chances are, yes I CAN help you, which is why I was hired.
Your Personal assistant to fill out your paperwork, file it, or make your calls for you.
'In the wrong section' Yes, I work here, YES my section is computers today and YES, I can find you the perfect machine for your needs.

I think outside the work place... my biggest pet peeves are chronically late people... If you KNOW you are always late... plan to leave twenty minutes sooner!

My next biggest irritation is bad driving. I grew up in Michigan and recently moved to South Carolina. I cannot describe the drive down here other than 'death defying' on a daily basis. People change lanes without a blinker. Cut you off. Merge without looking. Speed excessively(I'm a lead foot and tend to hover at 5 over... 50 in a 35 is normal here). Make U Turns ANYWHERE they please. Turn LEFT from a right turn lane. Pull out of a parking lot without looking on a 45mph main ROAD! I've almost been in about 5 accidents that could have been fatal for either myself or the other person. I am an aggressive driver and I know how to drive in every weather condition imaginable... but I can't get the hang of driving in Charleston. There is no consistency, there is no pattern... Just... WEEE! We're going this way now!

o_O

*end long post*

While we're on the subject of proper English.

!@#!!!!#!@#!@# Text speak! Or Elite speak!

I'm searching for an adjective to describe how badly I hate this, but I'm stumbling for words. In my head is a jumble of words, "cheese grater", "alcohol soaked cotton balls on fire" and "naughty bits". I'm sure you can get the visual cue from the above phrases.

Really though. Is it necessary to type like this.

OMG! I wnt 2b ur be5t frnd 4eva! Seems like extra work to me. Extra work to come across as really really illiterate and stupid.

As for driving, my driving pet peeves are too numerous to even type in one post. I am, however, prone to ranting so I'm sure that I'll be writing them down as they occur to me.

I wouldn't even know how to write like that :shock: .That makes my head spin, think it would take me longer than the right way.

My main pet peeve is when people use the letter 'f' instead of 'th'...I fought instead of I thought, I fink, I'm going frough, the list is endless. It really emphasises the consensus that us Brits are thick :lol:

trishwosere said:
My main pet peeve is when people use the letter 'f' instead of 'th'...I fought instead of I thought, I fink, I'm going frough, the list is endless.

A friend of mine does this and sometimes I do because of a dyslexic tendency. Honestly, I think it's an Italian thing with people who do it a lot. My friend does it because his grandmother, who was native to Italy and fluent in Italian, said her th's like f's. Mostly it is the th's in center of words like birthday is birfday, mother is mofer. It always clicks on my radar, but I'm so used to it that it doesn't bug me anymore. :D

Another pet peeve is people who take food from my plate without asking. I tend to get just enough for me to eat, so please ask before you just start TAKING things off my plate. I don't mind a fry or two, but don't grab a whole handful or a half of my sandwich. Get your own. XD

More hubby pet peeves!

Every time he eats icecream he puts it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it up. Goshdarnit this pisses me off to no end!!!!!! Leave the frickin ice cream alone....I DON"T LIKE IT SOFT! If you want soft ice cream, go to a soft serve and get some!!!!!!!! (he just did it now so I'm fuming, I now have to serve myself some and put it back in the fridge to harden up)

He's ALWAYS mooching off of me or my son. Can I have a bite? Just one sip, just one piece, ...I just want to try it. Dammit, NO. If you want some there is plenty for YOU too! I always make lots of food so there is always enough for him. But sometimes he has already eaten and just wants to "try" ours. If this were something that happened occasionally I wouldn't mind, but this happens so often that my son and I have laughed and said that when he passes, his tombstone will read "can I have just one bite please".

This is my BIGGEST pet peeve with my husband. My butter always has bread crumbs or jelly in it. Why? Because he's too darn lazy to take a knife and spread the butter on the bread. He prefers to stick the bread, with all its crumbs and occasional jelly, into the butter....leaving behind a mess. So when I need to use some butter to cook our dinner, I always have to clean off all that crap. I can't tell you how many times I've told him NOT to do this yet he continues to do it. I don't get it.

Well, there, I got to vent a little..........feeling better now. :lol:

Sibi- you are too funny!

my husbandly pet peeves are that he wont get up and get his own clothes in the morning, he waits for me to walk by or come into the room to ask me to get them. His dad used to make his mom take off his shoes, at least i dont have to do that too.

he is also late for everything. i grew up tht you arrive at least 10 mins early to appointments etc. he sometimes doesnt leave until 10 mins after the appointment time. :twisted: it drives me nuts!!

oh and i HATE when i cook something really good and i have just enough leftovers to have a really good lunch the next afternoon. the when i am all happy that it is lunch time and i go to get my yummy lunch, i find out that he ate it for a midnight snack!!

krissy said:
Sibi- you are too funny!
oh and i HATE when i cook something really good and i have just enough leftovers to have a really good lunch the next afternoon. the when i am all happy that it is lunch time and i go to get my yummy lunch, i find out that he ate it for a midnight snack!!

Krissy....my husband does this too!!! My hubs is an "all night snacker". He's practically half asleep when he comes to the kitchen. I don't get it at all, when I'm down to sleep, food is the LAST thing on my mind. So I have to tell him repeatedly, this is MINE for lunch tomorrow, and on top of the container I put stickies all over it...Keep off!! Even then he will sometimes eat it. The only safe place for my leftover lunch is Fort Knox!!! :lol:

jlw4690 said:
Hovering is my #1 pet peeve. I have co-workers who don't understand the concept of personal space and like to linger around my desk for no apparent reason. I'm a librarian and my "office" is the reference desk in the middle of the library, so it's not like I can close my door when I'm busy with a project and need to be left alone. Being interrupted by students is par for the course, and I'm glad to stop what I'm doing and help them, but co-workers leaning over my desk making small talk about their weekends while I'm working on a project? No thank you very much.

As I write this, one of my co-workers is hovering over my desk regaling me with tales of the bad chicken salad that she ate over the weekend and how it gave her food poisoning. Help...

Ha! I so understand that. Actually I agree with almost everyone's pet peeves, but this one is a daily source of frustration for me. I have a co-worker that I mentally call Eeyore, because several times a day he grabs a coffee and leans on my desk with a big sigh. I almost feel like he expects me to start juggling or something to entertain him! It's doubly worse because we have a kitchenette in an alcove in our reception area (my work space) and I have to listen to everyones' conversations while getting coffee, lunch, etc. Or they will see a newspaper and grab it and try to get me into a commentary. Folks, I just want to be left alone to do my job. Thankfully the kitchenette will be moved to the far end of the office when we do our reno in August. :D God give me the patience to endure until then. :lol:

My most husbandly pet peeve (this includes my son too come to think of it) is leaving the lavatory seat up, not only does it make the loo look nasty but I have to put it back down when I need to use it :x

On TV, yesterday they had an Aussie that has a new invention for that - its a device that clips on the top of the seat and when they go to flush and pass their hand over the top it automatically closes. 8)

Oh Gosh.

One of my husbandly pet peeves is that he leaves his socks under his computer desk in the living room. They used to be in the middle of the floor, but I've managed to get him to at least hide them.

So I have to tell him repeatedly, this is MINE for lunch tomorrow, and on top of the container I put stickies all over it...Keep off!! Even then he will sometimes eat it.

I second this, Sibi. I cook dinner and it is so yummy good... I make enough for him to take some to work and me to have lunch the next day. Unless I say something, its free game for him. I'll catch him eating leftovers for midnight snacks, breakfast, not even hungry but wanted to taste something... The only thing that's safe, is restaurant leftovers. Those are sacred territory no matter what and he knows it. XD

Relle9 said:
On TV, yesterday they had an Aussie that has a new invention for that - its a device that clips on the top of the seat and when they go to flush and pass their hand over the top it automatically closes. 8)

Now Relle I would definately buy one of those! :)

Latest posts

Back