Pet Peeves!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fyrja

Reaction score
We all have them. Perhaps we should share them. As I was waiting in a drive through for about 15 minutes (making me almost late for work) this morning this topic occurred to me.

My pet peeve for today. People who choose to complain to managers of fast food establishments while in the drive through. I'm going to attempt to clarify this. If I use a drive through, I use it because I am limited on time. I don't have time for the entire process of getting out of my car, walking inside, ordering, waiting, packing condiments into my bag, and then going back out to my car. I just want to get my food and move on. This is especially true early in the morning when I am trying to grab a quick breakfast before work.

IF a complaint must be made, and the person doing the complaining OBVIOUSLY has time to complain, then I think it's only good manners for them to park their car and go inside to complain. That way those of us, who are in a rush can move on with our lives. It's just rude, and inconsiderate. It seems almost as if the person holding up traffic really thinks that the world stops if they are not completely satisfied.

OK I've got to stop now, or I will go on a rant. Good to get that out of my head though.

So what pet peeves do all of you have? Please share them :p

Hovering is my #1 pet peeve. I have co-workers who don't understand the concept of personal space and like to linger around my desk for no apparent reason. I'm a librarian and my "office" is the reference desk in the middle of the library, so it's not like I can close my door when I'm busy with a project and need to be left alone. Being interrupted by students is par for the course, and I'm glad to stop what I'm doing and help them, but co-workers leaning over my desk making small talk about their weekends while I'm working on a project? No thank you very much.

As I write this, one of my co-workers is hovering over my desk regaling me with tales of the bad chicken salad that she ate over the weekend and how it gave her food poisoning. Help...

People who reek of negativity. I swear some people just cannot find the bright side of anything. These are often the same folks who refuse to help themselves.

And people who say 'Your', as in 'You have your red and your greens'. My MIL used to say that all the time. Specifically, she was waxing on about some pretty drapery fabric, and how it would coordinate with her decor.

I'm petty. But I'm perky.

Oh and if anyone thinks of adding Perky People to their list of Pet Peeves...

Well - I'm sure y'all would never do that. ;)

My pet peeve is when my children tap me on the shoulder/back/face/wherever to get my attention. I hate it when they tap me, particularly when they continue tapping while they are talking to me. I keep telling them they don't need to tap me, they will get my attention just as well with their voices...it just makes me cringe and I can feel my blood pressure rise instantly!!

Aside from that, I'm pretty easy-going and it usually takes alot to tick me off...just don't tap me!! :lol:

People that are not punctual drive me crazy. Drivers that drive to the front of a long waiting line then turn on their turn signal wanting to be let in. I guess they both boil down to people who think their time is more valuable then mine.

Deda said:
People who reek of negativity. I swear some people just cannot find the bright side of anything. These are often the same folks who refuse to help themselves.

And people who say 'Your', as in 'You have your red and your greens'. My MIL used to say that all the time. Specifically, she was waxing on about some pretty drapery fabric, and how it would coordinate with her decor.

I'm petty. But I'm perky.

OMG Deda. Don't even get me started. I had a roommate once who had to be the most negative person on the planet. NOTHING and I do mean nothing made him happy. It's a real downer when someone verbally poos on every single thing you do. The guy even had the nerve to complain when I cooked dinner for all the roommates, because I used onions! Kitten Love, no one was forcing him to eat. Incidentally this was also the same roommate who stole my credit card, tried to buy a new computer with it, and ran up my phone bill calling 900 numbers.

Verbal crutches just annoy me and I try to not use them. In particular, "Ya know?" When every other word is followed up by, "Ya know?" My husband does this and I try to help him, but it's so ingrained. I'm going to have hell teaching our kids not to say it when we have them. The other day when I got my hair cut the stylist used the word "Like". Every other word was, "Like", and sometimes she'd draw it out while she gathered her thoughts. "liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike, and then blah blah...." Also the word, "Um", sounds like a swarm of rabid flesh eating bees to my ears. I was in a German History class once, and we had to give presentations. There was a girl who was obviously not well versed in public speaking. I promise you that 15 minutes of her 20 minute speech was the word, "Um". I swear I felt like my ears were bleeding.

My pet peeve is when people walk on the wrong side of the footpath. Here in Oz, we walk on the left cause we drive on the left, so when you go into the city and its busy in the tourist area its like dodgem cars, trying to get round people walking towards you. :x

Relle9 said:
My pet peeve is when people walk on the wrong side of the footpath. Here in Oz, we walk on the left cause we drive on the left, so when you go into the city and its busy in the tourist area its like dodgem cars, trying to get round people walking towards you. :x

Gee, I never even knew we had footpath rules! I guess it makes sense, though...just never heard of that before. I always walk on the nature strip if I see an oncoming pram/jogger, etc.

Relle9 said:

Thats also one of my pet hates is people that do that.

Many moons ago in the City of Melbourne there were signs up in the city (Swanston St ) telling pedestrians to keep to the left.
Nightmare getting around people.

And my other personal pet peeve is plastic cutlery or icy-pole sticks to stir a take away coffee.
Cheers

LOL Relle and Coral. There are signs at the local Y where I work out on the walking path.

The signs direct you to go in one direction on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and the other direction on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. There's always one person at least who goes the wrong direction. The first few times I was there it was me, until I discovered the signs. :oops:

When someone uses the word ideal instead of idea.

What's the big ideal? I have an ideal, let's make coffee soap. They don't have any ideal! That's a great ideal!

UGH!!!!

I have way too many pet peeves to post. I dislike lots and lots of things and most people. But I love my puddy tats!!! Oh, and my hubby!

"I seen that." OMG. Improper English drives me nuts. But, then, my best friends call me "The Bitchy Sister."

mine is bad mannered kids. i know all kids have bad manners at some point, even most adults do sometimes but i am talking about kids like this:

our family,( 2 kids, dh and i) are walking at the local fair yesterday when two kids around 7-8 years old walk up to me and tap me on the arm. when i turn around to see what they need they point at the snack i had just bought for my kids and ask "how much dat?" i told them $5 and they then asked me "you goin eat all dat? can we have it?" i told them it was for my kids and walked away and they acted insulted that i didnt give them my kids snack. :roll:

I'm with you Jackik about the improper English - Impordant for important and thats people speaking on ads. :shock:

LOL!! I proofread for court reporters, so I'm keenly aware of typos and such. I see them everywhere; street signs, websites, advertisements. I swear, no-one takes the time to proof anything before it gets put out to the world. If they only knew how stupid it makes them look. If I read an ad that has typos, I won't do business with the company. I know, I know, I'm a b%*&@h. Just can't help myself :evil:

JackiK said:
LOL!! I proofread for court reporters, so I'm keenly aware of typos and such. I see them everywhere; street signs, websites, advertisements. I swear, no-one takes the time to proof anything before it gets put out to the world. If they only knew how stupid it makes them look. If I read an ad that has typos, I won't do business with the company. I know, I know, I'm a b%*&@h. Just can't help myself :evil:

I am with you. In today's society, with all of the technical gadgets to spell check with, there is no excuse for misspellings.

I hear so many people on TV using the word "seen" instead of the correct word "saw" and it drives me F'ing insane. Some of these people are supposedly educated individuals. OMG I could smack them.

My pet peeve is when people who are new to soaping or the like give bad advice or incorrect answers. Gets my goat.

carebear said:
My pet peeve is when people who are new to soaping or the like give bad advice or incorrect answers. Gets my goat.

Kinda like your signature quote!

Latest posts

Back