Personal Preferences??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marilyn Norgart

Reaction score
what are your personal preference for when the scent gets left out when you do a pretty swirl?

Leave the scent out and have a pretty unscented soap?

Get that scent in the soap by messing up the swirl and winding up with a soap colored like dog puke?

in the last month I have done both

I'll rebatch. I personally HATE the smell of unscented CP soap. And I can get a decent looking soap by rebatching as long as the original colors were bright enough, or there wasn't a lot of mismatched colors to begin with.
Fortunately, I've not forgotten my EO/FO in quite some time.
It's been years for me as well - and - I hope I didn't just jinx myself. LOL

I'd rather have pretty unscented soap. I actually like the scent of most soap, unless it has lard in it, but with all vegetables oils, I like the smell of unscented soap. But it also depends on the recipe; not all smell the same.

Leaving out the fragrance used to be a problem before I took advice here to add it to the oils before the lye. Now it rarely happens that I forget the fragrance.

I'll rebatch. I personally HATE the smell of unscented CP soap. And I can get a decent looking soap by rebatching as long as the original colors were bright enough, or there wasn't a lot of mismatched colors to begin with.

It's been years for me as well - and - I hope I didn't just jinx myself. LOL
I'm saying nothing - i DO NOT want to jinx anything.

I have 2 batches. One no color because I wasn't going to color that batch anyway.
The other Colored :oops: plain color nothing special.

So Now I say I have 2 unscented, one plain plain and one plain with color ;)

As Earlene said, I too add my scent to oils before Lye. Way easier if you have a recipe that is fast to begin with

My customers are all about the scent and ingredients so I would rebatch or likely keep for my family cause I hate rebatching. Lol
Clean work space.. get all ingredients out and ready to use, move to separate spot as you go. Then you don’t miss anything. :)

it seems to happen when I am doing 5-6 colors and I am wondering if its cuz my workspace is small and when I have all the colors ready to go the scent kinda gets lost. sounds good anyway :) I have this mental block about adding the scent in the oils--I keep thinking its gonna kill the scent even though I realize its gonna go thru gel and get hot anyway. I have shown it to a few people that want it without the scent so hopefully I can sell some of it and then gift the rest--I guess I don't need to worry about the scent fading. the one before that I forgot I mixed it all up when I put the scent in there and it smells good but looks like something that came out of a baby's diaper. I guess my preference is pretty and unscented ---if I have to choose

FYI, I don't MAKE no scent soaps for selling. But since I made a mistake by not adding in the FO I will still sell it.
It isn't like there was a goof on making the soap itself,
:)
I swore I would never make no scent to sell. And I won't on purpose.

I have read....maybe here, dont remember, that unscented soap is good for babies and people with health issues--cancer patients, who cant tolerate much. I dont know if colored soap would also be a problem tho.

I do sell no scent without color soaps at my market. As a note, I sell at a Kaiser Hospital Farmer Market so there is a lot, unfortunately, of cancer patients. For the first time in years, several months ago, I left out my fragrance in a pretty swirled soap. So I ended up with a pretty swirled no scent soap that is out for sale. Unfragranced soaps sell slow but I sell them so the customer that wants no fragrance can buy a soap.

Latest posts

Back