Patchouli E.O.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craftykelly

Reaction score
Does it discolour in CP? I am thinking about making a Patchouli and Lavender log with cubed chunks of patchouli in the lavender base iykwim. Also what other scents go nice with patchouli as I have never used it before. TIA

I've used Patchouli EO lots in my soaps. Unfortunately, I can't answer your question on whether it discolors or not, because I always colored my patchouli soaps a rich brown. Patchouli has always struck me as a very brown scent. So I use ground cinnamon and cloves and nutmeg to color the bars, and call it "Patchouli Spice". The spice scent doesn't really come through, though. But I bet a spicy scent would go well with Patchouli. And Amber! I never tried it in soapmaking, but I have mixed amber oil and patchouli oil together for a perfume, and it was Ummmmmmm..... heavenly! Just some thoughts, don't know if they are useful or not. Good luck, Blue

patchouli goes with alot of things, it just depends how strong you mix it. The spice mix is very good with clove and cinnamon oils. It can go lightly with Ylang Ylang and with orange or grapefruit.

mine is always light earthy tan but then i do use patchouli infused olive oil in my soap. my patch is really dark and i think it would do this even without the added infused oil.

I used patchouli lightly (i.e. much less than the usually recommended 0.5 oz per pound of oils it was about 3 mL per lb) in a black and white soap, and the white is reasonably white. The oils are Crisco, Olive Pomace, Cocoa Butter, and Castor.

This is it:

zedsoap6.jpg

Surf girl, that soap is GORGEOUS!!! Holy cow! Those swirls are perfect.

As to the original questions, I use a very dark patch and have not had trouble with it discoloring my soap. Like Surf Girl, though, I use less than 0.5 oz per pound of oils because the patch is blended with other EOs. In my pure patchouli bar, I use hemp oil and wheat germ, and those oils give the bar a tannish color, so I'm not sure how the patch affects the color.

Surf girl - Those are beautiful!!!!!! I love patchouli, too!!

Digit

patchouli

I've been waiting for bramble berry to restock patchouli because someone somewhere said it was the best
I got tired of waiting and ordered from mmsage and they spelled it patchouly
I put "patchouli" on my labels
When i poured it into my soap it was dark brown but the soap was really white po, pko,oo,co and some flower petals
it was really nice

I love Patchouli too.( BTW that is the correct spelling.) I use it quite a lot because it is a scent fixative and it seems to pull all the other scents together. My favourite is a soap I make with Patchouli, Orange 5 fold and Ylang Ylang. It smells yummy.

I've noticed it can discolor between a dark ivory to a light/medium tan (depending on which supplier you use). LorAnn's patch does a pretty ivory color. Hate patch, but it made a beautiful color.

Latest posts

Back