Palm kernel 'flakes'

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jenneelk

Reaction score
I didn't mean to buy this version, thought it was the oil.
I haven't seen any recipes with the flakes but its in soapcal.
Is it pretty good to work with? Any recipes someone can share. :)
I have 10 lbs to use up.
Thanks!

I just made a batch yesterday with palm kernel flakes and Crisco. Cut it today, really liked the consistency. Easy to work, nothing special required.
I made Castor
Coconut
Crisco
Palm Kernel
Grape seed
Olive
Play with the numbers until you reach qualities in the soap you are looking for.
As far as I know Palm Kernel Flakes add hardness, white color and bubbles to the bar ( sort of coconut type of ingredient).

For every percentage that I use of PKO I will decrease the CO percentage by that amount. I use it when I want a very hard, white soap. Even with high OO my soap with PKO will unmold very quickly and easily. After several batches with it I've found my preference is a usage no higher than 5% - BUT that's just my preference. Play around with it and see what you like.

Thanks all for the advice. :)
Happy it helps to make the bar white, that's a nice benefit.

So 5% will be about the most then?

You can use more. 5% is just my preference. Start out with that and see what you think.

I'm such a dunce.. I thought flakes were different than PKO! Haha
Just read another thread on here and found that the flakes are just cut up PKO. Makes it much easier to find a recipe with PKO.
I don't have that one so didn't realize they were the same.

I have flakes svaed for that day I run of of PKO..I really do want to try them out..

Pko flakes = hydrogenated palm kernel oil, no longer the same fatty acid profile as regular pko but close. Still a good exchange for coconut oil if needed.
So, it's not just pko cut up. Remember just because someone posts something on the forum it doesen't make it true.

Last edited:
thanks.. it was actually a full discussion and several were saying how they like to buy the block since it's a bit cheaper and the same thing just not cut up. Glad I keep asking. I do see them seperate on soapcalc so that's easy enough. Guess I can find a recipe to try with PKO and then do the flakes and see the difference in the numbers. :)

Jenneelk make your own recipe. Take one that you've made already that has CO in it. Plug it in soapcalc but then reduce your CO by 5% and add your PKO flakes at 5%. You can use any % - I'm just stating that % to start with and experiment from there on future batches. The very first time I made soap I used someone's recipe. Since then I've been creating my own.

I've never purchased the block so I don't know the differences. But in using the flakes I've found that my high OO recipes set up faster so they come out of the mold easier.

Back