Our honey oatmeal soap just poured!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

esheh195

Reaction score
Hey everyone. We tried a recipe we found online today for honey oatmeal soap and just poured it into our molds. So excited to see how it turns out!
We used 26 oz of olive, 10 coconut, 6 almond, 5 avocado and 4 castor and then added 2.5 oz of honey, 6 oz of homemade almond milk and 2 oz of finely ground oatmeal. We added 4 oz of fragrance..mostly brambleberry's honey milk & oatmeal with a little clove and sweet orange eo.
I think I definitely want to invest in a slab mold next time though just to be able to work w the face of the bar rather then sprinkle oats on the side of the loaf like shown in the pic.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry, I was having technical difficulties posting a photo from my phone but I think it's up now. :)

We will be taking them out of the molds when I get home from work tonight. I'll post pics of the batch then. I love the smell of the bramble berry fragrance, it's been stuck on my hands since yesterday lol..so I'm hoping it holds up well in the soap.

I have some that look just like those molds and the soap does not come out well. I either have to grease them up good with petroleum jelly or line them. I have stopped using them for that reason, but they do make a nice sized soap.

Well, the good news is that the sides did slide right off and the sides and bottoms are perfectly smooth.
The bad news, we had a last minute trip planned so they stayed in the mold and the house was rather humid. There is a pool of oil about 1/2 and inch under the top of the loaves. I noticed this before we left which is why I left them in the mold. The outer edges of the top dried evenly but the middle still has a bit of liquid underneath. I put them in the coolest part of the house outside the mold now and am hoping that it will dry up. Is there any chance of this working in time or is the batch just ruined?

Well, the good news is that the sides did slide right off and the sides and bottoms are perfectly smooth.
The bad news, we had a last minute trip planned so they stayed in the mold and the house was rather humid. There is a pool of oil about 1/2 and inch under the top of the loaves. I noticed this before we left which is why I left them in the mold. The outer edges of the top dried evenly but the middle still has a bit of liquid underneath. I put them in the coolest part of the house outside the mold now and am hoping that it will dry up. Is there any chance of this working in time or is the batch just ruined?
I hate to sound negative, but I would guess it slid right out due to the fact of the extra oil you ended up with. I do have one 2 lb smooth hdpe mold that the soap will sometimes release, depending on the recipe but not my larger molds that are not the shiny smooth hdpe. The mold I do have that will release I still use a silicone release in it, tried it in the larger ones and would not release

I use those molds all the time. Most of my soaps slide right out. It is not extra oil, it is the hardness of the bar. My tallow soaps need about a day and a half when tallow is the main oil. Lard or coconut bases come out in 24 hours. However when I make a soap with a lot of soft oils....nope it sticks. For soft oil soap you need about 4 days before it will slide out.

I use those molds all the time. Most of my soaps slide right out. It is not extra oil, it is the hardness of the bar. My tallow soaps need about a day and a half when tallow is the main oil. Lard or coconut bases come out in 24 hours. However when I make a soap with a lot of soft oils....nope it sticks. For soft oil soap you need about 4 days before it will slide out.

Maybe my hdpe molds differ, because none of mine will slide out of the mold. My particular hdpe molds are not smooth slick hdpe, maybe that is a difference. I make a good portion of my soaps with lard and palm using a 33% lye solution and they do not slide out. Most of my soaps are very hard in less than 24 hrs.

Maybe my hdpe molds differ, because none of mine will slide out of the mold. My particular hdpe molds are not smooth slick hdpe, maybe that is a difference. I make a good portion of my soaps with lard and palm using a 33% lye solution and they do not slide out. Most of my soaps are very hard in less than 24 hrs.

That may be the difference. My molds are very smooth. Funny how such a small detail can make such a huge difference! I will now make sure any additional hdpe molds I buy are all smooth!! I would not have even thought to check. You may have saved me from future confusion and frustration!!

Latest posts

Back