Other vendors copying your products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update - Today she came up and started asking me questions about salt bars. I was busy at the time so I didn't talk to her. I still don't know why she feels the need to come into my booth, I never go near hers.

Don't feel bad; they're everywhere. I got a new girl at my FM, of course selling "natural and organic" melt and pour soaps. She started thumbing through my samples yesterday. This is after quizzing me endlessly about what's in my soap. Go AWAY!! :)

If she is till selling jams and jellies as well as soap out of the same booth. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If I want to buy soaps from someone and I see 2 vendors, one who JUST sells body products and one who sells a small portion of body products as well as other things. I'm going to check out the first vendor first because I feel they'd spend more effort on those products. I do have to say it is in bad taste to start selling the same items when she knows you'll be setting up right next to each other.

I'm with you. I would definitely respect and trust the vendor who only had one product line, than one who tries to dabble in several different products. Makes me think they don't really know enough of one thing to make enough money on it.

Good luck!

IME people like that are not there for the long haul, they lack imagination and are basically lazy, they fizzle out soon enough and you will still be going strong.

Personally, if she were to come in and ask me questions while I was waiting on customers, I would smile and say "I have worked hard to perfect my products and the information you are asking for would be considered a trade secret."

LOL, I actually had a fella that was selling soap at the same venue as me that asked me what was my best selling fragrance. I laughed and asked him if he was kidding and he said no. We actually got along quite well during the 2 dayer, but I never gave him the name of my best seller. You just cannot stop someone from copying fragrances when they can go buy the fragrance. The only advantage is they do not know your supplier and as we all know FO varies widely. All you can do is make your product better and try to come up with new ideas. My Friday market has a new soaper selling and she likes my plumeria, I chuckle to myself because she is just a few booths from my supplier of that particular fragrance. I wish you well Soapdaisy because I find the FM's suck around here these days. There has been a considerable decrease in sales in the last 1.5 yrs. Yep I am also So CA Make exceptional soap and spend the time building your customer base. I have outlasted several soapers in my market

That is a problem. One I've wondered about with sharing recipes too (if a person is in business - I'm not). I hope to one day, but certainly I am not experienced enough to do that yet. I liked the suggestion you got about "the original xyz".

I had people copy my ideas, my marketing style, etc. I have also had people ask me for my supplier contacts or to share shipping (when I next order stuff from that supplier) - mainly because I use expensive oils (for where I am) in my soaps - or I got a pretty good deal on some of my stuff (organic, etc). The former (ideas and marketing style) I can't control but the latter, sorry, but I can't tell you everything. I worked hard to get these contacts.

I have seen some stuff on FB and Etsy whereby they do not disclose the full ingredients list and if you want it, you'll have to buzz the seller for more info. Would that be a better idea (for those selling online)?

As for her copying - if you think you can prove you started making that particular bar before she did, send her a cease & desist.[/QUOTE]

Cease & desist what? Making a soap with a fragrance we can all buy, using the same combo of oils, etc, there is nothing you can do. I have a soap I make I would love to have the funds for FDA approval and market as a drug, but realistically what little guy that affrod that. I know and my customers that buy it know they cannot find an exact duplicate of my formula. My loyal users of this soap are actually afraid to try anything else and always ask if it the sam, but I simply cannot stop anyone from trying to sell a bar that they tried to make like this one.
You just have to have good marketing and a way to get customers to return to your booth. I have done a 2 weekend holiday craft fair that has had up to 4 soapmakers, two of us return for both the spring and fall shows. I actually buy soap from the other gal because she uses a fragrance I do not buy and I simply love the fo. If I have a customer wanting a particular fragance and I know she has it I send them to her and she does the same. You can usually tell if you are not going to sell them a soap if they want a particular fragrance or eo combination. Many times I see people that have bought my soap go outside and buy her soaps also. It just works for both of us and we have outlasted anyother soapmakers that try coming into this market.
Market, Market, Market is the key along with Fantastic customer service. Very few of my customers walk away without a freebie. In our area of So Ca competition is everywhere since so many are just trying to make money to survive. I cannot fault anyone for trying to make money I just have to make and sell better!

"...they do not disclose the full ingredients list and if you want it, you'll have to buzz the seller for more info. Would that be a better idea (for those selling online)?..."

IMO, no. Hiding basic information is a tactic that tends to discourage customers as much or more than it discourages copycats -- most customers won't ask, unless they are super motivated. If you're in the biz to sell, then copycats are a fact of life that one just has to live with.

In my business (not bath & body), I've had to grit my teeth about people who have not only copied my designs in detail, but also copied information directly from my website and passed my writing off as their own.

My conclusions after 12+ years of running a successful business, both online and off, is that it's best to just ignore the copycats. I also try to keep in mind that a good product, whether soap or something else, is not only about the specific materials used, but also about the proportions and the style in which the materials are used; the packaging and promotion of the products; the level of customer service; and the personality and goals of the maker.

Last edited:
No, I do not, Lisa. Thank you for the tip -- I will follow up on that. I checked your link out to see if anyone is doing any wholesale copying of my website. Boy was that ever easy!

I learned that no one has copied my website pages ... and that is typical of what I've seen in the past. My main competitor for the past 5 or so years (and now out of business as of this summer!) liked to plagiarize a few paragraphs that suited his needs, change a few words, and pad around my writing with his own stuff. That is also true of the eBay sellers who copy from my website.

IMO, no. Hiding basic information is a tactic that tends to discourage customers as much or more than it discourages copycats -- most customers won't ask, unless they are super motivated.

That's true. I kept looking at it from a customer's view point. What do I like when I shop for something? People like to have all the info at hand and in every business, copycats are normal.

I do believe, that in my country at the moment, the pie is big enough for everyone and we aren't exactly original ourselves. Our ideas came from somewhere but were tweaked over time. If the product is good, people will come back and that's what you're aiming for - return/repeat customers.

I can imagine that will be frustrated, but one thing you have is the original formula, so if somebody want to copy your product, maybe can be as close as the person imagine but never be as good as the original.

If your product is good, the clients will try and buy it again and again and again, I believe maybe the other person can copy how your product looks but not how it will feel when been used.

Good luck!

I've got the same problem where I am
I asked for a crockpot on a free add site for my first attempt at hp soap. I was gifted and as a way of saying thank you. I gave her a few bars of cp soap that I had made..... Now she as started to sell soap which she states she hand made. Which is a lie as she keeps emailing me asking me how much for this soap and that soap.....it niggles me that she as acted in this way .

Hodders:

You can take advantage of the situation, start making business with her, ask your price for the soaps, and sell it to her but with a very good price, a fair price!!

Or, ignore her and close your eyes to the opportunity of making business with your soaps.

Just think about it!

Hodders:

You can take advantage of the situation, start making business with her, ask your price for the soaps, and sell it to her but with a very good price, a fair price!!

Or, ignore her and close your eyes to the opportunity of making business with your soaps.

Just think about it!

Agree - There is a potential reseller here. Of course, the lying about who made it is annoying to say the least, but if you're getting your fee for the product and she is marking up, then these customers aren't finding you (or they'd buy at your price, or her marketing is better!) so you're not really losing anything.

For the OP, how much information did you give her? List of ingredients on the pack includes % or just a list? If she knows enough to mix the same proportions, or there abouts, then fair enough.

Keep innovating - while you are offering new things to the market, she's playing catchup

Personally i wouldnt want somone stealing my ideas, but when it comes to soap i think there's some limitations, But dont get me wrong, There is so many possibility's out there, one shouldn't have the need to copy someone else.
Marketing and putting the love into your product and being determined, You wont go far if you dont have the determination or passion for what you do. Got to have a strong heart and stick by your product's.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back