Other vendors copying your products

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soapsydaisy

Reaction score
I recently started selling in a few markets for the summer. Even though selling soap is new to me (I have been making soap for 3 years) I have a lot of experience selling other things at farmers markets. I was very upset and caught off guard when I noticed that another vendor was copying my products. I lost it when she posted on the markets FB page that she was making a soap that looks just like our signature soap with the same fragrance. She often walks into my booth acting friendly but she is checking out our "goods". She isn't even exclusively soap, she sells mostly trinkets from other countries. Have any of you had this happen to you? How did you handle it?

On an angry little side note, I checked out her FB page and noticed she sold her 1st batch of soap! The whole situation makes me so mad:mad:

Personally, I think this will happen and there's not much to do about it. Instead of getting angry, just figure out how you can "market" your product better. I always believe that in the long run karma will bite the copycats in the butt. (It might take a really long time, but I still believe it will happen. :))

Do you have anything posted on the markets FB page? If not, get on it!

It is frustrating, but if you have superior product, customers will be back for yours, not hers. I have a vendor next to me that sells soap alongside her farm products - the packaging is fun (and expensive) so a lot of people are drawn to hers. I've bought from her and her soap SUCKS. I hate to say that, but it does. I've spoken to a couple of people who have bought her soap and they say they won't buy from her again. Repeat customers are your goal - so just sit back knowing that most likely customers will realize the difference. Plus, start heavy sampling of your product - that wins people over :)

As for her copying - if you think you can prove you started making that particular bar before she did, send her a cease & desist.

You could always add a line to your packaging - "the original XYZ soap!" Whatever you do, don't talk disparagingly about her or her products to your potential customers. Even if it's true, it still doesn't come across as professional.

I plan on remaining professional. I am trying to stay positive. I was thinking about making a sign about our products saying something along these lines, "We have perfected our soap recipes over three years and hundreds of batches." My husband wants me to promote the fact that I am member of the Soap Guild.

In the future, I am not going to announce new soaps on our FB until they are packaged and ready to take to the market.

Sounds incredibly frustrating for you. At my farmer's market there is a lady that sells goat milk soap along with beef from her farm. ( I only make one or two soaps with goat milk and my soaps are a different style so I felt ok applying for a spot) Her soap is pretty basic and not fancy, but I'm sure it's fine. haven't gotten a chance to try it myself, but hope to pick some up after I'm done with the stash I have at home already. About a month ago at market, I noticed another lady was selling some soaps along with her baked bread goods. I was a bit disappointed. I had known about the goat milk soap lady when I applied to the market, but didn't know there was another soaper. I was worried it would affect my sales especially since I was new to the market. Being a military family, I always seem to be the "newbie" trying to get into markets and shows. Anyway, my sales have been steadily increasing each week and I have received many compliments and repeat customers. I am thankful and it proves that there are enough customers for all of the soapers at the market! I hope things work out for you!

If all she is copying is the scent or color there is not much you can do. I do not think she can copy your soap recipe but she can use same ingredents. Advertising you are a member of the Guild is good and not posting on FB is better for your new soaps till they have hit the market. Having a special soap each week which is not of your normal scents would help also.

Another note copying you is the highest form of flattery. Look at this way she thinks your soap is better than hers. :)

CopyCats

I may be new to Soap, but man do I have experience with those trying to out do me at the Wedding Shows (when I was doing Cakes).

I have to agree with Nebetmiw, make it a positive experience and take it as "The highest form of Flattery". Your husband is right! Advertise how long you've been making Soap. And whatever you do don't point her out or talk about her in any way. Allow your soaps/customer service to standout and speak for itself, you will out do her in the "Right" way (which won't be her way!)

Long story short, I had a Big (well known bakery (in my area) ask me to make flowers for them, (that means they sell my art and put their name on it!) I said "No thanks!" Their response: 2 owners stood in front of me (while I was doing Demos in the entrance of my Booth) in an attempt to block the view of prospective customers!

Although it was frustrating, it was also VERY flattering to think such a well established Big Bakery was threatened by Me! I waited until people were 4 deep, than I put on a smile and called them by name and told them it was not necessary to watch me, because I would come do a "FREE DEMO" at "their Shop". When the crowd realized what they were trying to do, things changed.

If she is frequenting your booth, it's because hers is not getting enough attention. Put a smile on your face and ask her how business is going at her booth. People in your booth will see you as friendly and unthreatened and at the same time, they will see her for who she is!

Best of luck, let us know how it goes.

Some people just stink. There's another soaper here, we often do the same shows, but it has never come to that! She stops at my booth every time, and I try to make it to her's, but in a friendly manner. We've become "show friends" and get along great, even though technically we're competing.

There is no replacement for true experience. I have been there where I thought I could just make a bunch of soap and go out there an sell, sell, sell! Oh, and I did sell A Lot of soap because It was awesome, but..... I must say, my inexperience caught up with me when I ventured away from some recipes I found in a book and decided I wasn't sure how I liked them and became concerned about the organgutangs and the rain forest and so on and so forth. I also wasn't satisfied because I got my recipes from a book. Yea, they worked but they weren't mine...... And just remember, your competiter will be thinking this very same stuff, if they are a true soaper! But if they are only in it for the money, you will win every time!!! So, don't worry because you are true. And they are only temporary.

Some people just stink. There's another soaper here, we often do the same shows, but it has never come to that! She stops at my booth every time, and I try to make it to her's, but in a friendly manner. We've become "show friends" and get along great, even though technically we're competing.

Same here. There's four of us in the area. One only makes vanilla and honey based soaps, so that's fine. The other two make all natural using all vegan ingredients and all essential oils, so that's fine. Then I make the more swirly, colorful, glittery, goat milk soaps. I think I'm the only GM soaper around for now. I try to maintain friendly relations with the other soapers - we're people first, competitors second.

I had a soaper trying to get my scent blends out of me this weekend at a show >.< So annoying. Just know that your product is superior, and unless she has the same ratio of EVERYTHING, it's not going to be right.

I feel like I am the oddball out. I use to sell soap awhile ago and plan to again in the future. I never cared how many people started to sell soaps after I was doing it. I actually have went to a few booths and bought their soaps, even though I have more than enough to suit any need I have. I enjoy my business, but I also like supporting others who do it.

Now to get back on topic, if she did copy you that's a big no-no. If you are in a farmers market you could also talk to the manager. It's very unprofessional to steal someone elses idea. However it will probably cause confrontation, which is a bad thing. I think some really good suggestions have been made already. Kill her with kindness is always the best way to go about things IMHO.

I'm having an issue like this as well...but it's from two of my friends. My friends started making jams and jellies. We would work the local crafting shows setting up beside each other. Then they got it in their head to start making similar products as mine, such as lotions and scrubs. What the heck? Now, I understand there is more than enough business for all of us, but I just find it in poor taste. When I shared my concerns with one of them, she couldn't understand why I was feeling stepped on. She thinks they are making different products because her's are "all natural". What does she think I put in mine, plastic? I do not market myself as all natural because I do use fragrance oils at times, but for the most part, I use essential oils. Gah!

If she is till selling jams and jellies as well as soap out of the same booth. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If I want to buy soaps from someone and I see 2 vendors, one who JUST sells body products and one who sells a small portion of body products as well as other things. I'm going to check out the first vendor first because I feel they'd spend more effort on those products. I do have to say it is in bad taste to start selling the same items when she knows you'll be setting up right next to each other.

I agree with all that has been said. kill the other soaper with kindness, and win because you have a superior product. I haven't sold anything, but from a consumer's standpoint, I prefer a higher quality product. I have, will, and continue to spend more on quality made goods. keep fighting the good fight!

If she is till selling jams and jellies as well as soap out of the same booth. I wouldn't worry about it too much. If I want to buy soaps from someone and I see 2 vendors, one who JUST sells body products and one who sells a small portion of body products as well as other things. I'm going to check out the first vendor first because I feel they'd spend more effort on those products. I do have to say it is in bad taste to start selling the same items when she knows you'll be setting up right next to each other.

Yep, she sure is.

It is frustrating, but if you have superior product, customers will be back for yours, not hers. I have a vendor next to me that sells soap alongside her farm products - the packaging is fun (and expensive) so a lot of people are drawn to hers. I've bought from her and her soap SUCKS. I hate to say that, but it does. I've spoken to a couple of people who have bought her soap and they say they won't buy from her again. Repeat customers are your goal - so just sit back knowing that most likely customers will realize the difference. Plus, start heavy sampling of your product - that wins people over :)

As for her copying - if you think you can prove you started making that particular bar before she did, send her a cease & desist.
Which can easily be ignored. What exactly was being copied? A name? If not a name, there would have to be something so distinctive and not useful about yours that it would constitute a trademark for you to have a legal interest in it. (I'm assuming there's no design patent involved!)

I had a soaper trying to get my scent blends out of me this weekend at a show >.< So annoying. Just know that your product is superior, and unless she has the same ratio of EVERYTHING, it's not going to be right.

I'd be tempted to give her some nasty combos rather than the real ones. Vanilla Oregano anyone?

Latest posts

Back