food with bath/body products?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My son the beekeeper works at a company that among other things, sells honey at various small markets. He said his boss has a strong opinion that his booth will never sell soap and other bath and body products -- even if those products are made with the company's beeswax and honey. He claims there is research that buyers will not buy food where soap is present. This was interesting to hear. Just curious if you all have a similar or opposite experience and/or opinion? Thanks,

In all the markets I sold in I will say I never saw the Honey booths sell much soap. I actually would chat with them and ask some of the ones in my regular markets and they would confirm they sold very little soap. Customers looking for soap will tend to go to booths selling soap and other B&B products. That is just my experience throughout 10+ yrs selling in multiple markets.

I have to agree with your son's boss. I would be leery of purchasing food from a booth that also sold ANY non-food items.

I guess I would understand this for booths selling fresh food. But if it is packaged food like honey and other items, I personally wouldn't worry about buying from them if they also had soap there. I don't see how that is any different from selling food items right next to a booth that has non-food items right on the other side of the tent walls.

But clearly I'm in the minority here, so 🤷‍♀️ ?

We have a few honey producers here in the Okanagan. At least one of them has their own shop and, in that shop they not only sell the honey, they also sell products made with the honey and/or beeswax, including candles and soap. Several of the local honey companies also sell beeswax wraps, another non-food item. The honey is in sealed jars; like @AliOop, I don't see an issue with it.

In a similar vein, I make soap for a local winery. They display and sell it right next to the bottles of wine. Is there any difference, really?

Latest posts

Back