OT - Holiday menu

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixiedragon

Reaction score
What's everyone cooking or eating?

This weekend I'm going to make make-ahead turkey gravy, so we have plenty of gravy! My parents host, and some how my aunt has become the Gravy Queen. she ALWAYS frets about having enough gravy, so she thins it out to the point it's barely gravy. So I like to do a batch of this make-ahead gravy, freeze it, and heat it up Christmas day. No gravy drama!

We usually have 3 kinds of dressing/stuffing. I make Paula Dean's cornbread dressing (the best one). Mom makes a white bread stuffing (goes in the bird) and oyster dressing (vom).

My dad likes to purchase a really nice, expensive piece of red meat - and then somehow set it on fire on the grill. It is ALWAYS burned on the outside and raw in the middle. I have no idea how he manages this feat. Plus he demands a triple batch of Bearnaise sauce (I use the Knorr packet), which we end up throwing away because nobody eats the scorched raw meat, therefore nobody eats the sauce.

Gravy Queen makes an amazing cheesecake every year.

We're having about 34 people here from our family/extended family and we all bring something towards the meal. SO far we have coming: Turkey, Scotch fillet roast, Roast leg of lamb, ham, green veg, spiced red cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli in cheese sauce, roast potatoes, roast kumara (that's sweet potato to you all) and roast pumpkin. Desserts are: Traditional christmas pudding, pavlova, trifle, fresh fruit salad, keto peanut butter cheesecake (made by me).
It's also my little sisters' birthday (they are twins) and they are turning 50! So I'll have the '50' balloons on the letterbox, and '50' streamers adorning the place. My DH is making them a birthday cake - he's the cake maker in the house. I can't tell you what it is for fear of offending anyone, but you might care to put two and two together... they own a bra shop between them, and they are twins - so he is making something a bit risqué that encapsulates both those ideas (one of the 'pink bits' will be slightly exposed), he he.

No holiday dinner here. Have to take mom to the new facility my step-dad will be in. I am hoping she can have dinner with him even if I have to pay, or I can get some from my daughters dinner from the Golden Corral for her. I just purchased a Holiday Dinner from GC since my youngest daughter did not have the money to cook.

We have at least 30 confirmed coming, most likely more than that will be present, though, since folks always tend to bring stragglers along with them..... over at my sis's homestead. For the main meal, we'll be feasting upon 5 different kinds of pierogi (slathered in butter and onions, of course), which we spent all of last Sunday making ahead of time, kielbasa, honey-baked ham, Boston baked beans, pumpkin risotto, kapusta, and matzoh ball soup. The accompaniments and desserts and drinks are vast and varied... rye bread, homemade egg nog, devilled eggs, fresh fruit platter, apple crisp, deli meat platter, cheese and cracker platter, fresh veggie platter, various homemade cookies, potica, banana bread, "reindeer poop", cranberry nut bread, date nut bread, mulled cider, various dessert wines, red velvet cake, pumpkin cake, gingerbread cake, coffee, pumpkin latte, and s'mores toasted over a roaring fire in my sis's fire pit outside.

IrishLass :)

I'm usually alone on Christmas , and will be this year. I'm happy to pick up a ready made holiday dinner from one of our local restaurants and watch Christmas movies all day! Don't know if I'll do a Christmas Eve service or day service.

I'm literally aching to make soap! it's been 9 months! I'm down to 2 good bars for our use, and some end pieces. ( I gave the lovely, wrapped and labeled bars that I planned on selling to charity) The house reconstruction is moving along nicely now, the mortgage company finally sent a check , but I'm just DONE with all of the disruption, dust, noise and people wandering around.

I'm usually alone on Christmas , and will be this year. I'm happy to pick up a ready made holiday dinner from one of our local restaurants and watch Christmas movies all day! Don't know if I'll do a Christmas Eve service or day service.

I'm literally aching to make soap! it's been 9 months! I'm down to 2 good bars for our use, and some end pieces. ( I gave the lovely, wrapped and labeled bars that I planned on selling to charity) The house reconstruction is moving along nicely now, the mortgage company finally sent a check , but I'm just DONE with all of the disruption, dust, noise and people wandering around.

You can come to my house. Ha ha. Hope things get better for you soon. It’s got to be so frustrating.

We are actually celebrating tomorrow. There will only be 10 of us for dinner. Keeping it easy. Hubby will grill the ham and I am making spoon bread, coleslaw and those easy cheesy potatoes, rolls, relish plate, and I feel like cranberries are essential regardless of the menu. I only wanted to make one dessert, so have already made a favorite ice cream dessert and will have an assortment of cookies which I made a couple of weeks ago and put in the freezer, to avoid the temptation of having them accessible. Our son and daughter in law will spend the night and we will celebrate with them after everyone else leaves. It will be strange not having our daughter and son in law with us this year, but it’s too close to her due date to make the trip home. We plan to go spend a few hours with DS and DIL on Christmas Day and FaceTime with the out of town kids then.

I do not do Christmas Dinner as this was agreed upon many years ago since I'm divorced from the father of my boys. He has them over for Christmas Dinner on the eve and I have them for Brunch on Christmas morning. ( Which I like better) I make a few different Quiche's, Bacon, Sausage, Blueberry Brioche french toast casserole with fresh blueberry syrup, assorted breads, assorted pastries, momosa's and we open our gifts and spend the day together. I've done it for 30 years that way and I actually like it best.

I wish all of my soapy friends here a Wonderful Holiday and New year!

We have at least 30 confirmed coming, most likely more than that will be present, though, since folks always tend to bring stragglers along with them..... over at my sis's homestead. For the main meal, we'll be feasting upon 5 different kinds of pierogi (slathered in butter and onions, of course), which we spent all of last Sunday making ahead of time, kielbasa, honey-baked ham, Boston baked beans, pumpkin risotto, kapusta, and matzoh ball soup. The accompaniments and desserts and drinks are vast and varied... rye bread, homemade egg nog, devilled eggs, fresh fruit platter, apple crisp, deli meat platter, cheese and cracker platter, fresh veggie platter, various homemade cookies, potica, banana bread, "reindeer poop", cranberry nut bread, date nut bread, mulled cider, various dessert wines, red velvet cake, pumpkin cake, gingerbread cake, coffee, pumpkin latte, and s'mores toasted over a roaring fire in my sis's fire pit outside.

Holy cow!

19C9FFBD-78CE-46E7-B3B1-6F332C7D84E2.jpeg

Holy cow!

I know, right? LOL Christmas Eve is crazy for us, but we wouldn't have it any other way. Thankfully my sis hosts it at her house, because our house is way too small. Besides family, she welcomes any friends (hers as well any of the other family member's friends) that have nowhere else to go for Christmas Eve, and it's always a full house.

I'm not coming to NZ with the price of a leg of lamb at $ 20.99 kg :eek:. On sale it's $14kg :eek:.

Coles this week - legs of lamb $10.80 kg.

Where have all the sheep gone in NZ ? We have alot of 3 legged piggies here at the moment :D.

Latest posts

Back