Ostrich Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a good idea. I would assign cost to a per ounce value. That way anyone could order any amount. But i wonder, and we may not know this until the Ostrichguy tells us, what would it be per ounce? if it is too high, i may not be interested because it takes so much to make a batch.

I'm in , in fact I'd be willing to be the shipper.

You're awesome!

I'm happy you volunteered because I was thinking of doing it. But I prefer not to have to deal with it. Are you sure you're up for it? It's going to be a lot of work.

$157.95 divided by 128 =1.233984375 per oz +shipping to your home

Is the gallon actually 128 ounces? Sometimes, I’ve seen oils listed as 1 gallon but the weight actually ranges between 120 oz to 128 oz. There is also the cost for containers plus most of the past co-ops had a co-op fee. It wasn’t very much. I think maybe $2 or $3 to help with cost of shipping materials and gas for the hostess to take everything to the post office or whatever shipper you choose. I’ll have to go look at past co-ops to see how they were set up.

We could make a separate thread for people interested in ordering with one person designated the organizer. When someone is interested in a share of the oil, they can message the person

There is a co-op section for posting about this when a decision is made. http://www.soapmakingforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37 Normally, people post in the co-op section to check on interest. I just mentioned it on this thread to find out if people would be interested in a co-op. The information on how a co-op is set up and the rules are posted in this area, too. Then people sign up on the thread and the hostess contacts them. Pepsi Girl will have the authority to waive some rules since she will be the hostess. (She has the power! Bwhahahaha!)

I would be interested in doing this, AFTER the holidays though. Im like hazel, i would only want under ten ounces.

For example, this decision – when do we want to do it? Also, how long is the sale going to last?

I send a PM to ask OstrichGuy how long the sale will be in effect.

@ Pepsi Girl -

I was wrong about the sale already being over. It's still $157.95 with free shipping. However, it did say there is a small charge for packaging so I'll have to find out about it.

For what it is worth, the only point I found on shelf life was a reference that popped up on Google from "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Making Natural Soaps" and it said the shelf life was a year and it needed to be kept refrigerated.

A year is what I think I was told but I wanted to double check before posting about it. I didn't want to find out I hadn't remembered it correctly. I'm also wondering if it can be frozen. I know some oils will be fine if frozen.

I stand corrected. Thank you. :lol:

I received this reply today from OstrichGuy about shelf life.
OstrichGuy said:
Shelf life is a year (and like so many things, we find that it lasts much longer, particularly if kept cool, which is not mandatory to the product quality)

Also, you can freeze the oil.

Is the gallon actually 128 ounces? Sometimes, I’ve seen oils listed as 1 gallon but the weight actually ranges between 120 oz to 128 oz.

Just for your information, a gallon isn't 128 oz. A gallon is volume, ounces are weight (as opposed to fluid ounces which is volume). A gallon of water weighs 128 oz, but seeing as how oil floats in water it will always weigh less than it. So, the minimum price the oil could be is $1.20, it will depend on the oil density. I searched Google, but couldn't find the density to determine the actual price by weight.

Just for your information, I used to see a couple of suppliers list a container as one "gallon" but then listed the weight in parentheses. I'd see 1 gallon (7 lb), 1 gallon (7.5 lb), etc. (However, one of the suppliers has ended that and now just lists the oils in pounds which I think is more accurate.) This is why I was questioning what the actual amount or weight would be since I always weigh oils and I've never used ostrich oil. Also, it's only listed as one gallon on Indian Point Ranch's site. For all I know, it may only be 120 oz or 7.5 lbs.

But thanks for the reminder that fluid ounces are different from net weight ounces. I was basing my calculations on 128 oz by weight and not volume. I won't know the volume until I get the oil.

But thanks for the reminder that fluid ounces are different from net weight ounces. I was basing my calculations on 128 oz by weight and not volume. I won't know the volume until I get the oil.

Oh, did you already buy it in weight? I thought the previous poster had calculated the price based off the volume of a gallon.

This is one reason why I would like to switch to the metric system. I hate having fluid ounces and weight ounces. One time I was trying to determine how many ounces that 8 ounces of flour weighed. ("How much does a cup of flour weigh?") My dad just looked at me like I was asking a dumb question. ("A cup is 8 ounces. Duh.") :crazy:

Latest posts

Back