Oops!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sethkaylyn

Reaction score
I just realized I purchased lye to make liquid soap and not cp soap. I've already mixed everything and of course it never thickened. I was confused why until I looked at the container. Anything I can do at this point? All the oils will be wasted ImageUploadedBySoap Making1428682272.509662.jpg

Did you calculate the recipe to use sodium hydroxide? I may be a little confused, but I'm taking it as you meant to make CP, correct?

Oils typically need more KOH than NaOH to fully saponify, and more water. So may be you could run your recipe with KOH as the lye and mix up the difference in to the batter and try to trace it to get LS. I never made LS but from what I gather, it has to have an SF of 3 or less. You could figure that in to calculations. Also I would suggest you visit the LS threads for further guidance.

I'm sorry for the confusion. I did use the calculator for cp soap. I've been soaping for a while and never ordered this from WSP so I didn't make sure I ordered the correct one. Lol

What you need to do is run your recipe through a soap calc using KOH instead of NAOH and see how much KOH you need as opposed to what you've already added. And you will have soap paste and have the base for LS

Yes, re-run the recipe using the exact amount of each oil you used, then 3% or less superfat. Add the correct amount of KOH to make the difference(I would mix it 1:1 with water before adding it to the soap you already have.) Mix it in, and see what you get. The beauty of liquid soap is that if it won't mix in well at first(due to paste being too hard), just put it into the crock pot on low and let it heat up. With enough heat/time/stirring, it will all meld together. If you aren't pushed for time, you would not even have to heat it. It would eventually meld all together.

Welcome to the wacky world of liquid soap!

Back