Olive oil salt bar

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engblom

Reaction score
I prefer to make castile soaps and those I am succeeding well with.

Recently I heard about salt bars and I got curious. I would want to make one. Most sources are claiming you need a lot of coconut oil for a such bar. Still I find some sources using only olive oil. (Those sources have not had 1:1 oil:salt).

Before I waste a lot of olive oil, I would want some opinion about a pure olive oil + salt (1:1) bar. Would it be a total failure?

Maybe the salt would cut the Castile slime, but it would have 0 lather. I'd not waste my time and money.

I've never tried that. I always make my salt bars 80% Coconut Oil. also, you would have 0 lather and it may still remain soft. If you decide to try it let us know how it turns out.

I have quite a bit of liquid castile soap. I think I will take a few spoons and mix in some salt to see how it will lather.

Or is it not the same thing when you mix it into a ready liquid soap?

This is only your second batch of soap so why don't you focus on making either one or the other. A salt bar or a castile soap. It helps to learn about the different oils and how they work in your soap. Especially if you want to make a salt bar with a particular oil other than coconut oil. First learn how each oil works in your soap and what properties it brings to the table. You can still make a salt bar and use olive oil as one of your oils. I do.

I have been reading a lot about oils, but there are always exceptions. For example flax-seed oil is not supposed to have a good lather, but my liquid flax-seed soap for washing floor is having very much lather (even a bit too much and too stable lather). It is always nice to try something out of the ordinary. Isn't a salt bar already an idea out of the ordinary?

Also, this would be batch nr 11, not my second.

Back to the topic. Yesterday I solved up a lot of salt into a small amount of my liquid castile soap in order to experiment how it is reacting with salt. Here comes the result:

This morning it had become very thick. The lather was reduced to almost nothing, but still some bubbles it made.

It became a quite nice cream to wash with and the skin is feeling very nice after. I washed my whole body with it, and it was working. I also tried to shave with the cream it made, which did not work that well as it had quite a bit of friction. But even despite the friction, the skin was not the same sensitive and bleeding as it would otherwise.

Conclusion: In liquid soap, it becomes a quite pleasant cream but with almost no lather. It washes well and the skin is soft after. A bar soap of it would not be nice as you do not get enough solved to have a nice soap cream. I will not make a such bar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back