Oils separating during hot process

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I often see it looking like pictures 2 - 5 at different times. That's normal in HP. If it stays the same for too long, I give it a quick stir and check the temperature because sometimes what's under the surface is quite different. I like that it happens IN the POT :thumbs:, rather than worrying about it happening in the mold! :eek:

I agree with this. I used to make HP exclusively. I know some people say not to touch it, but I stir (with spatula only, not stick blender) mine every 7 to 10 minutes until is done, and that works for me.

For those that see this kind of separation can you answer a few things? Because I am just very curious.

Do you see this is Every recipe you use .
What is the oil that is the highest amount ?
What trace do you bring your batter to before you cook it ?

I am thinking it is a recipe and process that does this.

That time that I had it, Lard was high amount and it was HPOP and I don't think I had the batter very thick.
Never saw this in the Crock pot and I have to wonder if these are the reasons

For me, of rather limited experience, it's a universal. Solution traces, gets rather thick, then suddenly goes slack and "ricey" for a bit, then smooths out and eventually goes to the "vaseline" stage if I have enough water.

Still zappy at the "applesauce" stage, zap is gone by the vaseline stage, so I assume it's incomplete saponification.

Less pronounced with shaving soaps high in stearic acid so I would assume different recipes will show the effect differently. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

When I do HP. Yes I see it on every recipe. Usually all my recipes are 1/3 lard or palm, 1/3 olive, 1/3 coconut and an ounce of shea butter or avocado, or rice bran.

I usually soap around 120 for HP, and then let it go through the process.

But as I have mention before. I do use my spatula to remix every 10 minutes or earler.

For those that see this kind of separation can you answer a few things? Because I am just very curious.

Do you see this is Every recipe you use .
What is the oil that is the highest amount ?
What trace do you bring your batter to before you cook it ?

I am thinking it is a recipe and process that does this.

That time that I had it, Lard was high amount and it was HPOP and I don't think I had the batter very thick.
Never saw this in the Crock pot and I have to wonder if these are the reasons

I don't see it every time I hot process, but I'd say maybe half the time? I use lard at 45%. I get my lye to room temp and my oils melty (but not all the way, there are usually still some white lard blobs). I add the lye water to the oils, blast with the stick blender just until everything is blended (no trace), then pour into the slow cooker.

I usually do hot process and mine always goes through the applesauce stage. I just stir it and after a minute or so, it goes onto the next stage where it finishes. It's done this with every recipe I've used.

Same here. Every recipe. I use different oils and different recipes. Sometimes all olive oil, or all tallow, or different combinations of different oils. Recipe doesn't matter. It always goes through those stages, whether I use a crock pot or a double boiler. I usually go to a light or medium trace before I put the lid on.

For me, of rather limited experience, it's a universal. Solution traces, gets rather thick, then suddenly goes slack and "ricey" for a bit, then smooths out and eventually goes to the "vaseline" stage if I have enough water.

Still zappy at the "applesauce" stage, zap is gone by the vaseline stage, so I assume it's incomplete saponification.

Less pronounced with shaving soaps high in stearic acid so I would assume different recipes will show the effect differently. Not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

I hope you're still active here...

I did a batch of HP shaving soap but instead of zapping in the microwave to maintain temp, I used an induction cooktop.

Melted the soy wax/butters, added liquid oils then lye...it went through ricing, applesauce then separation.

It was in separation phase for ages and didn't emulsify until I turned the heat off and blended with hand blender, then it was fine and I proceeded to cool down and pour.

(One thing I noticed is the bit of cooled down batter didn't dry my hands like the microwave method does so I assume most of the lye had reacted, which makes sense)

I have a few Qs please:

1- How long does the separation phase take to go into Vaseline phase?

2a- Is there any issue if I turn off the heat upon separation, then blend until it's back to a smooth emulsion and pour?

2b- I presume doing it this way may need a few extra days of cure time?

3- when adding super fat after the cook, is it simply a matter of adding the SF in melted form and just stir it into the batter?
Does it matter what the batter temp is?

Thank you!

Latest posts

Back