Oils oozing from my soap???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MizzBee

Reaction score
Using my usual CP recipe with 10% SF and never had any problems in the past before until today :( I had a look at my batch that I made last night and to my horror there is oil sitting on top and the whole bar just feels so oily and oozing, should I re-batch this soap? And if so, could I have some advice on how I should do it please....never re-batched before. I used goats milk for the first time and would love some advice. Do I add anything? Do I have to add more fragrance to it, it is already colored green.
:( :( :(

I had that happen once to me too - and it was with GM. I was advised by the experts that it was overheating.

You have 2 options, you can see if it absorbs, or do what I did and quickly rebatch.

mine was still really soft (only hours after poor when i noticed the oil layer) so I just poored the 'soup' in to a container, microwaved for a couple of mins, stired and repoored. The sooner you rebatch the better.

I dont know how to use a croc pot etc, but microwave works well for me.

If your soap has hardened a bit, you will need to chop it or grate it and then rebatch, i wouldnt think you would need to add any extra liquid at this early stage.

Frustrating eh?

Pity you didn't wait, that happened with my GM at 10%SF and all I did was blot it with paper towel a couple of times, then by the next day it had re absorbed.

Relle9 said:
Pity you didn't wait, that happened with my GM at 10%SF and all I did was blot it with paper towel a couple of times, then by the next day it had re absorbed.

Never happened to me before, I guess I panicked and just wanted it resolved quickly, the top had like a layer that lifted off with some pot holes in it so I guess re batching was inevitable with that one.

I've had two batches now that I wanted to rebatch: one because I cut it by hand and it was so uneven, and the other due to the oil on top/partial gel. I'm glad now that I waited. The uneven ones are my best bars so far. The one with the partial gel and oils seemed to fix itself after about 12 hours. I was set to come home from work that day and rebatch but it had righted itself by the time I got home. Now it's a pretty decent looking soap! I'd suggest not panicking as I did and just try to give it another day or two to see what it does. I'm one of those "need results NOW!" people, and I've learned that soaps do not care. They will do what they want, so just leave them alone. Kinda like me ;)

Well that's re-assuring to hear that you adoptapitbull and relle waited and things righted itself, how long is too long before you can re batch?
Do you have to add anything else if you wait a couple of days for re batching like water or oils?

Loving this forum, you guys are so helpful and friendly! :)

rebatching

I just had this happen with my GM soap. It's all I've ever made and it has never failed before. There is too much oil to "blot." I can literally pour off oil. I waited a day to see if it would absorb, it has not. Can I rebatch with a cold process technique? Hot process tends to burn the milk and make the soap not as appealing. I guess I will go be an experimental chemist with my food processor and the stove.

azsunbeam try the microwave as suggested by busymakinsoap, it worked for me, I just cut it up and nuked it until it was like thick goo, stirring it in intervals and then glooped it back in the mold. Just cut it up and it looks fine.

too late

:lol:

I just ran it through the food processor, heated it on low on the stove and repoured. It was hardening as I put it in the mold. Can anyone say laundry soap? :wink:

THANKS!

MizzBee said:
Well that's re-assuring to hear that you adoptapitbull and relle waited and things righted itself, how long is too long before you can re batch?
Do you have to add anything else if you wait a couple of days for re batching like water or oils?

Loving this forum, you guys are so helpful and friendly! :)

You can rebatch weeks and even months later but for less fresh soap, you'd want to moisten the shreds first (1 T of water or milk PPO is a good place to start). Too much extra liquid will make your soap spongey.

I had a batch that I somehow only used half the oils and all the lye for... I poured it into the molds and realsied I didnt have enough to fill the molds. I quickly poured it back in the pot, cooked it up with the correct amount of oils and repoured into the molds. Im not sure Id reccomend doing that, but Ive let them cure and used one and its fine. Its ugly, but works well. :)

Back