Oils and scent retention

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billthesoapguy

Reaction score
Question: do certain oils retain fragrances better than others?

last night, I made a batch of my HP soap....and used my typical amount of my favorite FO. Today, I cut my soap, and noticed that the scent was much less strong than what it typically is? The only difference in the soap I made last night was using less palm kernel oil, and using a much higher Shea butter content. I calculated the correct lye /water ratios, and the HP was normal....but the scent was much weaker.

Has anyone ever experienced this? Do certain oils not retain scents?

Are you using natural or refined shea? That could affect some scents. natural or refined Cocoa Butter can affect it as well. However, other than that I've never noticed a difference in the strength from one batch/recipe to another. Some claim clays, baking soda etc will help anchor scents but again I've never found that to be true.

Yes, unrefined, so that may be the culprit.....and using more Shea would just increase the loss of scent retention! Good point!

i have read the “ debate” on cloys, baking soda, etc to help with scent retention. I will make two batches tonight; one with clay and one without, to see if there is any noticeable difference. I am struggling with getting this FO to not dissipate too quickly in my soap! Aggravating!

i do not want to go over the % recommended in the spec sheet....I just wish it were stronger in the HP soap!

the joys of soap making 😀

I add the FO after the cook is done, and after I have added the color, and some yogurt....and then wait until the HP soap is below 160 degrees F. I then add the FO ( flash point of the FO is 210 degrees F), and the place in the molds.

the FO is a sandalwood from Bulk Apothecary........

needless to say, it can be frustrating. Tonight I will try some without coco butter and without Shea, and add clay to see what the scent retention looks like.

Flash point is not really something to worry about; evaporation is what happens when the batter is too hot.

It does sound like you are doing things right. Keep in mind that scent can fade a bit during cure, yet still come back very nicely when the soap is actually used.

Your nose may also be so accustomed to the scent that you aren’t sensing it as much, even though it is still there. If you can put it away for a bit and not check it for a week or so (hard to do, for sure), you may be surprised at how much you can smell it again.

But I sure won’t discourage you from making more soap so you can compare the two methods. By all means, soap on! :D

Last edited:
Update: tried several different clays, and no help on scent retention. Tried oatmeal, as well as cornstarch.....still no help on scent retention. I made 12 different batches ( 7 bars per batch) of one of my soaps that sells the most.....and nothing I tried made and difference in soap retention.

oh well...at least I have some soap now! 😀

Latest posts

Back