October 2017 SMF Soap Challenge, simple minimalistic swirl

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gah, you're right!! Sorry, I haven't slept well the last two nights. I was quite confused this morning thinking it ended today. I will try to rectify it immediately, thank you so much caribou!!

Ok, I was not able to delete my post, but I was able to edit it still. I am so sorry for the confusion everyone.

You do still have until midnight tonight.

I love the Soaps that are up so far everyone!

That's fantastic. There is such a huge difference between the two "colours" it is amazing. Good work.

Thank you so much, I really wasn't sure how well it was going to work, never having done a ghost swirl, a clyde slide, a water discount or even gelled my soaps before LOL all the ghost swirl tutorials I had read said to CPOP the soap but then I'd also read not to CPOP milk soaps ... so I wrapped it in a towel and had no idea whether it would gel enough, whether I'd get a partial etc.

I was absolutely stoked when I unwrapped it :D still cant quite believe it worked!

Primrose wrote on the entry thread: "I've not really tried colouring or swirling my soap yet so I thought this might be a good challenge for me to try. I came on board fairly late so I had time for one attempt only. My mica didn't arrive so I decided to attempt a ghost swirl which is also something I've been wanting to try.

So here it is, ghost swirl with goats milk"

Lovely soap.
It doesn't matter for the competition but I'd really like to know because a ghost swirl is where no colourant (or only one colour) is used but the water content of the batter is different so it comes out as a swirl after the cure.
see: https://auntieclaras.com/2015/09/the-ghost-swirl/

Is that what you did with your entry soap?
Wow! Thanks for the link to that article. I never knew how a ghost swirl was made. By looking at pics, I had assumed that it was achieved by adding a small amount of TD to part of the batter. Now I know better.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

I just switched my entry to something simpler. I had to add it as a new entry because I wasn't able to edit the old one. It was right at about the 24 hour mark, so I wonder if that's why.

Saponista, when you build the survey could you please use the one with the roses? Thank you, and sorry for the hassle!

Gorgeous entries everyone! This was a good one. Thanks LP for hosting, and Saponista for helping out :)

Last edited:
I just switched my entry to something simpler. I had to add it as a new entry because I wasn't able to edit the old one. It was right at about the 24 hour mark, so I wonder if that's why.

Saponista, when you build the survey could you please use the one with the roses? Thank you, and sorry for the hassle!

Gorgeous entries everyone! This was a good one. Thanks LP for hosting, and Saponista for helping out :)

Hey caribou. I just wanted to let you know I emailed saponista to make sure she uses the Roses picture ( in case she didn't see your post). For an update my surgery was Tuesday. I felt really good Tuesday night and Wednesday morning because they gave me a nerve block and my arm was numb for a full day. Come Wednesday evening and Wednesday night, it was pretty rough. Yesterday wasn't too bad, and I'm hoping it gets better over the weekend. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't talk to my phone and it types for me LOL.

Are those ribbon roses, or soap dough?

Wow! Thanks for the link to that article. I never knew how a ghost swirl was made. By looking at pics, I had assumed that it was achieved by adding a small amount of TD to part of the batter. Now I know better.

Sent from my Z828 using Soap Making mobile app

Some people have reported that the difference between the "colour" of the water discount can fade over time. Not sure if this is true or not. Not sure if this is less likely to happen if there is a huge difference between the lye concentration of each part. Worth experimenting with if you like the look which I do but I haven't made one yet!

Thank you so much, I really wasn't sure how well it was going to work, never having done a ghost swirl, a clyde slide, a water discount or even gelled my soaps before LOL all the ghost swirl tutorials I had read said to CPOP the soap but then I'd also read not to CPOP milk soaps ... so I wrapped it in a towel and had no idea whether it would gel enough, whether I'd get a partial etc.

I was absolutely stoked when I unwrapped it :D still cant quite believe it worked!

It worked really well. :) It's tough waiting to see how a new technique works out.

In summer or in a heated house wrapping in a towel is as good as or equal to CPOP.

CPOP works for me in an oven preheated to 100-105*F then turned off. You aren't cooking it. You are just encouraging the natural soap temp of the saponifying soap to get there then holding that temp in a lovely little cocoon around the soap and then letting it dissipate slowly for 12-24 hours. This works for milk and honey soaps as well.

Hey caribou. I just wanted to let you know I emailed saponista to make sure she uses the Roses picture ( in case she didn't see your post).

Thanks LP (and saponista). I am sorry for the hassle of last minute trading. I never really was sure I wanted to upload the Autumn Glow, but I also didn't know if I'd have time to photograph and submit the Rose Garden before deadline due a really busy week. So I decided to submit the one and change later if I still had opportunity.

I'm glad to hear you're on the road to recovery. Hope you're feeling better and better every day!

Are those ribbon roses, or soap dough?
The roses are ribbon. They should pull off easily when it's time to use the soap. The crystals around them are pink sea salt.

I voted today and hemmed and hawed for ages. In fact, I intentionally put it off for a day because I knew it would be difficult. No one made the decision easy this month with this collection of beauties!

Latest posts

Back