oatmeal preperation for use in soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_Dove

Reaction score
I've read that oatmeal will act differently in soap depending on how finely it is ground. Coarser oatmeal will act as an exfoliant while finely ground oatmeal has some sort of moisturizing or protecting effect on the skin.

How finely ground should it be? I have a wheat grinder that grinds into a flour consistency.

I have several kinds of oats in my kitchen. Steel Cut, Instant, 5 minutes, etc. My understanding is that steel cut oats are simply cut into chunks. Instant oats are crushed, hydrated and then freeze dried. 5 minute oats are simply crushed/flattened. Does any of this make a difference when I grind it into flour anyways?

I'm a noob so feel free to explain anything that should be obvious or that I should already know.

Oat preperation for use in soap

I guess it's about personal preference. I find that ground up whole oats are a bit scrubby for me and oat flour is kind of gritty. I think the best recommendation ever was from IrishLass... Earth’s Best Baby Oatmeal.

I like it in the middle. Pretty finely ground, but with a few small chunks in it. That way it sort of exfoliates gently but isnt what i would consider an exfoliating bar. I just use whatever is in my cupboard. Rolled or quick. Oatmeal is a good skin soother. Thats why its recommended to give babies oatmeal baths when they have rashes/burns/ect.

I use 1/5 cup per pound of oils and I use quick oats ground up in the food processor. I had a complaint once that whole oats dirtied up the bathtub, so I only sprinkle a few whole ones on top of the loaf for looks.

Oatmeal In Soap

I like to toast regular oatmeal for use in soap until it is just starting to brown.

This makes it a little more brittle which helps in the next step.

Then I grind it into a fine powder in a VitaMix. This would be about the same as using a food processor.

What's a "fine powder?"

I start grinding and as soon as it looks like it's all broken up, I stop. At that point there are no really large pieces, but it hasn't been pulverized to nothing either.

When added to soap this makes for a nice texture and a little visual interest.

Use unground oats and you get a scratchy result. Some people like that, but not many in my experience.

Latest posts

Back