Now I'm thinking about trying candles too...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haha!

Start with soy tarts, they're easy!

Making candles is actually just as hard as making CP soap (at first!) I've been experimenting and finding the right wick size is a pain! I've found a wax I like and my fragrances do well in it, but the darn wick is always causing me problems!

I'll probably stick to just selling the tarts this year and practice more on the actual candles over the next while....

Soy Candle Making over Paraffin Candles

Hi, I am new to the forum, but love finding other candle making enthusiasts.

If you are a newbie, you might want to take a serious look at the benefits of making candles using 100% all natural soy candle wax vs. the negative benefits of paraffin candles.

I have found they are cleaner, longer burning, and non-toxic, as long as the wicks are properly trimmed, then you should have a candle product that you will enjoy burning.

For more information on the hazards of paraffin wax, click - link removed - and look for a link there that will give you more information.

You can also find more information on my site, - link removed -" where you can get all of the instructions to make soy candles and tea lights, soy travel tin candles, votives, soy pillar candles, even container jar candles and coffee mug soy candles, so you can easily, and quickly start to make your own candles, while having fun at home!

Good luck, and enjoy having fun as you make soy candles as a home-based business, or if you are just the home crafter who makes candles for fun, and personal enjoyment. My favorites are still aromatherapy soy candles.

Always trim your new candle wicks to 1/4 height before lighting them, and retrim the wicks before relighting your candles. Proper burning of the wax is important and helps to preventing soot pollution in the home.

Green Gardener Gal
- link removed -http://www.makesoycandlesandtealights.com]

you might want to put your sales pitch in a different area - and be careful of the propaganda. perhaps you could back it up with research?

a properly made paraffin candle will last as long as a soy candle, burn as cleanly, etc.

and as for toxicity - well soy candles produce the same level of this as well. it's the products of combustion you need to be concerned with.

scenting them makes them both worse, btw.

LJA said:
Help, I need an intervention. Is Jeff Van Vonderen in the house?

I had to laugh at this. I got 3 candle scent samples from BCN that said you can make a 4 oz candle with them. They are pretty and I thought I would try it. My community center is offering a class on making soy candles so I might sign up. It looks like Joann Fabrics has a lb of soy wax, which is all I'd need. Who knows!

LOL I make the soy tarts , I have no desire to make candles , even though I love candles .

Kitn

Milla said:
LJA said:
Help, I need an intervention. Is Jeff Van Vonderen in the house?

I had to laugh at this. I got 3 candle scent samples from BCN that said you can make a 4 oz candle with them. They are pretty and I thought I would try it. My community center is offering a class on making soy candles so I might sign up. It looks like Joann Fabrics has a lb of soy wax, which is all I'd need. Who knows!

I was gonna go that route too, Milla but I've been soaking up all the info on all the candle forums like a sponge, and many people are of the opinion that craft store wax is an exercise in futility. Bad stuff, that gets poor results.

I was gonna go with soy wax too but I'm noticing that many people who start with 100% soy end up using blends. I'd rather buy what I need to end up with without spending the millions of dollars on testing like I did with soap stuff. LOL! I'm so confused.

Kitn said:
LOL I make the soy tarts , I have no desire to make candles , even though I love candles .

Kitn

That's what I wanna start with too, kitn & Ashley - even though I have never used a tart in my life.

Hi. mutant cave dweller, here. Nice to meet you. :wink:

I don't feel like doing anything anymore! LOL! I must've been in a "mood" or something when I was thinking about candles! I don't even know what a tart is!

OK, question--

I'd love to make a few candles. For personal use, I'm sure not going to be selling them any time soon. However, my soap insurance (RLI) is invalid if I make candles. Now, does that mean only if I sell them? Or if I make them in my home, too?

I have some friends who do candles-- most started with soy, then went to soy blends and are much happier. A well-made candle with an even burn pool isn't any more harmful or less harmful whether made of soy or paraffin or palm wax or beeswax.

SilverMaple said:
OK, question--

I'd love to make a few candles. For personal use, I'm sure not going to be selling them any time soon. However, my soap insurance (RLI) is invalid if I make candles. Now, does that mean only if I sell them? Or if I make them in my home, too?

I have some friends who do candles-- most started with soy, then went to soy blends and are much happier. A well-made candle with an even burn pool isn't any more harmful or less harmful whether made of soy or paraffin or palm wax or beeswax.

See, that's exactly what I'm hearing too, SilverMaple - thanks. As far as the insurance, can't help ya there, but I'll be checking into my own, as well.

what about all beeswax are those candles any good? (thining about getting into it as well.... like I need another hobby lol)

Hey,hey Ian!!! :)

Your question had me reactivating my account..

My take on beeswax is and generally starting up with supplies.Is it's very expensive.Last time I check on purchasing beeswax by the case it was up to $350 for a single case.

I don't want to discourage you,just letting you know.There are other brands of wax that are cheaper you could use.Doing the research,product testing is a must.Most go straight for Soy brands and find out that wax to is tricky.
Not to mention the people who have their own agenda as far as emissions,and such.They have a product to sell.I'm not into "well my friends said this so it must be true."
Most don't bother doing their own research and product testing to have any idea of what's the actual facts of them all.Like I've kind of pointed out..Wax can be a dog eat dog world..Throw me a Milkbone.. ;)

My advise is go with something simple,learn it,perfect it.I found that most people who had all the choices of wax candles,the Paraffin brands always sold out first.People wanted variety and designs.Novelties were just whimsies,as I call it..Pillars lasted longer for their money.

It was just an observation on my part.I've made my serious money.The economy and what people are willing to purchase,will ultimately decide what brand of wax you will be using.IF your even still interested in starting out,after reading this...

Good luck on what you decide to do..

Munky.

:) glad to see ya again! haha so I inspired ya huh!?!?! I think I would only do the B-wax candles if I could find a local supplier for the beeswax, or something like that where it was cheap... but I wonder what other type of waxes are out there that are safe for the environment etc.....

I think for wicks Id use hemp or something similar... free-trade organic cotton or something like that !

I dont have enough $$ to experiment with it yet though as Im trying to concentrate on the massage, lotions, soap thing :)

ha ha :D i'm reading this thread, it's 3 am here, i have to wake up at 9 and go to the craft fair that i'm selling my soaps at. on one shoulder little voice is telling me - turn off the computer, go to sleep, you can not start learning about candle making NOW. the other voice is telling - just few more threads, how could that hurt :twisted:
i'm doomed :lol:

Me too, LJA. I love candles and they're so expensive. I burn them every night and with all the FO's out there, I'm thinking, why be limited to what's available in the stores.
I think I will start with container candles. I have tons of containers around from candles. Supposedly they're the easiest for beginners.

I have made dipped candles for a while now but I just started pouring jar candles with in the past year. I buy sp container wax from wsp and it is CERTAINLY better than the craft store junk I started with . It has been my experiance that all most everything you can pick up at the craft store ( as far as candles go) is a HUGE waste of time and $$. The sp wax I use is a blend but it I like it. I only make them for personal use and friends so I can't say what customers would think of it. But I have never had anything but compliments on the ones I have gifted....GL

Back