Nostalgia in Lye Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BubblyRose

Reaction score
Okay when I first started selling bath and body products back in 2004 I was the only one in my area that did so. I was living in Maryland where there is a big "Back to Nature" community. I was having home shows and selling via catalogue and word of mouth. One thing that people would always ask me is "Do you make lye soap?" and my answer was always No. I had read about it and it seemed scary and too much trouble.

Fast forward to 2012 and I decided to try it. My first batch didn't do well (expired lye, no I won't name the supplier). By my second batch I was hooked! Mesmerized even :shock: . My first tester was my daugther who has ketosis of the skin (looks and acts like eczema but isn't). She loved the soap. My sil wanted to try because she remembers growing up in Georgia her older aunts making soap in the backyard with grease and lye. She fell in love and told an older gentleman in her church about my soap. When she said "lye" he asked about the process and shared his own story about growing up in Sumter, SC and his mother making lye soap on Saturday mornings using the household grease. He even remarked on the pungent smell of the soap. I gave him a sample to see if it was like he remembered. He tried, also, and loved it! He loved the feel, the clean and mostly that it didn't have that strong scent to it. After that he spread the word to all of his buddies and cronies. :D The funny thing is they all had their own memories of mama, grandma or aunties making lye soap.

Now I know that in the soaping world to call it lye soap is a no-no but I have found that when I say I make natural soap most people don't get it. However, when I say lye soap I see that spark of recognition and I am also treated to beautiful nostalgic stories of yesteryear. Soap is almost as old as time but it is a common thread through most communities. I have used alot of the home remedies that I grew up with in my soaps (No, I don't market them having any medicinal uses). I just put the ingredients on my label and they tell the rest of the story for my customers.

One day I am going to write down the personal accounts that I hear. I might even make a 'story book' for my soaps. Like my Rosemary and Peppermint Tea soap: Tell the tale of Clown Face the dog that was left chained to a tree abandoned by his owners when they moved. He was left out in the sun for the entire South Carolina Summer and his face looked like it had been melted with a blow torch. Using Rosemary tea (distilled water and 15 stalks from the rosemary bush), the bravery of the dog and fortituted of the rescuer a healing rinse was created to help soothe and cleanse his tortured face. From there the Rosemary and Peppermint Tea CP soap was born. Long post I know but when I create these soaps I cannot help but smile when one of my soaps takes someone back to their childhood or to a crisp Winter evening. Anyway ... I would love to know if anyone else has this experience with their soaps.

Beautiful :)

I've only had a few people share their lye soap stories with me. When I first shared my homemade soap with my MIL, she smiled and told me about how when she was a little girl her mother one Saturday a month would make soap. She'd sit and watch her mother stir all the leftover lard over the stove. She'd add fresh milk and herbs from the garden. As a little girl she thought her mother was a magician, being able to turn the lard into soap. My husband's grandmother has been gone for over 20 years, so I didn't have the chance to meet her, but she's very special to him, so it was nice hearing the story.

My own mother has told me many times since I was a little girl about helping her mother make soap. She was always so excited to be the one to cut the soap into bricks. They weren't allowed in the kitchen when their mom was making soap though. But with a small 3 bedroom home & 17 kids, I can see why she'd shoo them all outside.
My mom said that her mother would make the soap on Friday and then make lutefisk on Saturday for Sunday's dinner.

Lye soap has a stigma to it, but I live in the south and people ask for lard lye soap. They love it here!

It is neat to be down at the farmers market on Saturdays and have the older generation tell me all about their hand made soap from their childhood. I'd love to meet someone that actually knows the process. But the people I meet in their 80's are talking about their parents or grandparents doing it... they never learned the actual process.

I call it "new-fashioned lye soap" because its better than the "old fashioned lye soap"

Loolee said:
I call it "new-fashioned lye soap" because its better than the "old fashioned lye soap"

I like that! I've never heard it called new-fashioned lye soap before. :)

Genny said:
Beautiful :)

I've only had a few people share their lye soap stories with me. When I first shared my homemade soap with my MIL, she smiled and told me about how when she was a little girl her mother one Saturday a month would make soap. She'd sit and watch her mother stir all the leftover lard over the stove. She'd add fresh milk and herbs from the garden. As a little girl she thought her mother was a magician, being able to turn the lard into soap. My husband's grandmother has been gone for over 20 years, so I didn't have the chance to meet her, but she's very special to him, so it was nice hearing the story.

My own mother has told me many times since I was a little girl about helping her mother make soap. She was always so excited to be the one to cut the soap into bricks. They weren't allowed in the kitchen when their mom was making soap though. But with a small 3 bedroom home & 17 kids, I can see why she'd shoo them all outside.
My mom said that her mother would make the soap on Friday and then make lutefisk on Saturday for Sunday's dinner.

Thank you for sharing. My dad told me about his mother making soap sitting under a tree and stirring the breakfast grease into the soap. He loves the soaps that I make for him and his wife. In fact, I am going to bring him 3 of my latest bars this weekend for his birthday gift.

I have to agree that Southerners really love their lye soap. In fact, I was just asked by an older gentleman, not 15 minutes ago, to bring him a sample of my lye soap. He asked if it had tallow in it and I told him no. His follow up question was "Well, do you use lye?" I just smiled and said yes sir. :mrgreen: I am loving this. My only regret is that I didn't take it up back in 2004 when I started making body butters. But, I plan to make up for that now. :D

I loved reading those stories! I don't have one of my own to share. Sadly my great-grand parents & most of my grand parents have passed on. I do have a grand mother who lives next door, but she is in the early stages of alzheimers & I'm not sure she'd remember those days.

I grew up with the stories of the old fashioned lye soap coming from homesteaders. My grandmother and her mother made soap every fall after harvesting the cattle and pigs using the tallow and lard to make the soap with. They did make it by pouring water through wood ash & straw and they would test the strength of the lye by placing an egg in it. If it floated it was strong enough if it didn't then they would add more ash and pour the water back through it strengthen it. Once it was strong enough they would pour that into the pot with the melted fats. They would cook it until something occurred (not sure what that was) and at that point they would salt it to bring it together. They would then take that and put it into boxes that had been lined with absorbent material. This method is actually one of the reasons the soap was so harsh. By salting the soap they were separating the salt from the glycerin, plus they were actually making a liquid soap since what they created was Potash aka Potassium Hydroxide. Of course that is just the way my family made it during the late 1800's and early 1900's.

Cheers

soapaddict: Sometimes those early days are the days they remember best!

Lindy: I wonder if they had to salt it... if the potash wasn't strong enough to completely saponify the oils.

BubblyRose said:
Now I know that in the soaping world to call it lye soap is a no-no

Depends on where you live I guess.

My sister gave me a bar of 100% lard soap which she had found in a newly opened store in our town (discount store which started in the South and is expanding). It stated on the label "lye soap" plus it stated it was good for eczema, dry skin and other skin ailments. I think it might have mentioned psoriasis. She asked me about the claims because she had heard me talk a lot about FDA regs, etc. I told her the company that made the soap probably had the money to test the soap and got FDA approval.

The story about the dog is so sad and made me feel sick to my stomach. I hate cruelty to animals. It made me feel slightly better to know that someone took the dog in, healed him and gave him a home.

"The story about the dog is so sad and made me feel sick to my stomach. I hate cruelty to animals. It made me feel slightly better to know that someone took the dog in, healed him and gave him a home."

One of my good friends is an Animaltarian and she knows that I use a lot of home remedies. She asked me to make something to soothe a skin condition that one of her other dogs had. I make the Rosemary rinse and her daughter called her the next day at work and said that the skin on the dog had gone from scaly oozy and white to a pale pink. That is when she decided to use it on Clown Face (which I told her was cruel to call the dog but ...). They rescue animals all times of day and night. In fact, the reason I decided to only make vegan soap is so that I can sell them on behalf of the Animaltarians and donate to their cause without conflict.

Loolee Potash is what we use to make liquid soap (potassium hydroxide - KOH) so unless you salted it you ended up with a liquid soap which is not what they wanted. Sodium Hydroxide which is what we use for solid soaps had to be purchased and they couldn't make it themselves. Now I must admit I don't know the history of Sodium Hydroxide so I can't speak to it. Hmmm now I see I have another research project :lol:

I really admire people who rescue animals. Almost all of our animals have been strays, from an animal shelter or were owned by people who kept them chained or confined. My sister and I say if we had the money we would have an animal sanctuary. But for now, all we can do is donate what we can.

BubblyRose said:
Clown Face (which I told her was cruel to call the dog but ...).

Cruel?

I guess I should hate myself then...nicknames we've used are Doofus, Goofy, Yogurt Head, Silly, Ding Dong, Ding Bat and phrases like "Ya Big Maroon" (chocolate lab) and "You're a real blonde" (yellow lab). To be fair, there were more commonly used nicknames - Bright Eyes, Lover Boy, Big Guy, Pretty Girl, My Boy and Sweetie. None of them seemed to mind what we called them except for their favorite phrase "Good Dog".

Thanks Loolee, I found your comment to be comforting. I enjoyed reading the newer posts. I hope there well be more.

Hazel said:
I really admire people who rescue animals. Almost all of our animals have been strays, from an animal shelter or were owned by people who kept them chained or confined. My sister and I say if we had the money we would have an animal sanctuary. But for now, all we can do is donate what we can.

BubblyRose said:
Clown Face (which I told her was cruel to call the dog but ...).

Cruel?

I guess I should hate myself then...nicknames we've used are Doofus, Goofy, Yogurt Head, Silly, Ding Dong, Ding Bat and phrases like "Ya Big Maroon" (chocolate lab) and "You're a real blonde" (yellow lab). To be fair, there were more commonly used nicknames - Bright Eyes, Lover Boy, Big Guy, Pretty Girl, My Boy and Sweetie. None of them seemed to mind what we called them except for their favorite phrase "Good Dog".

Just to me naming the dog Clown Face due to his deformity caused by negligent owners was cruel. But, I don't judge her harshly for it and I still support her cause. She also had a rat called SOB (Son of a B... well, you get the idea) :lol: and a great white dog named Big Man in White. My friend has a quirky sense of humor and I guess her out of the box names for her rescues is her way of dealing with the unceasing cruelty that that Animaltarians see on a daily basis. Was Yogurt Head a Yorkie? Just curious.

I think you're right about it being her way of dealing. It has to be extremely rough rescuing animals and it may be her way of relieving stress.

BubblyRose said:
Was Yogurt Head a Yorkie? Just curious.

He's a chocolate lab. His name is Yogi and the nickname evolved from Puddin' Head into Yogurt Head as a play on his name. He's also "Ya Big Maroon" and Big Guy. We still call him Big Guy a lot but rarely use the other nicknames anymore now that he's older.

This is a little off topic but the names yogi & yogurt head triggered 2 memories of my children. Yogi was the name of their 1st dog who was a rescue. Yogurt head reminded me of my middle soon who's now 18. When he was about 2-3 years old, he hid from my mom under her dining room table. When he tried to jump up and surprise her, he bumped his head on the tables underside, knocking her cup of yogurt over & it landed on his little head! Lol, all you could see were 2 chubby little jaws & 2 little eyes blinking thru a creamy blanket of yogurt! :lol:

Latest posts

Back