no success this time..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emilaid

Reaction score
I'made my third ever batch today, and as I used the same recipe as the last time I didn't think I'd have any probs - I was wrong :cry: lol
I worked out that I had enough EO left in my bottles without having to pour & measure it, but when it was time to add the oil I noticed that the bottle had one of those little valves that only let out 1 drop at a time :shock:
By the time I struggled through my rubber gloves to pop the valve thing off, my soap had gone really, really thick and lumpy, so I tried to whisk the lumps out, but of course the soap kept getting thicker and when I poured it into the mould, it had hard lumps all the way through it :cry:

Lesson learned.... :wink:

Also, I added green colour to it and it turned out orange :eek:
I used peppermint and tea-tree EOs - would either of these be the culprit?

the color may morph. i used green food coloring once and it morphed to orange and then over the cure turned to a pretty deep greenish color like the color of green beens when they have been cooked.

the color may morph. i used green food coloring once and it morphed to orange and then over the cure turned to a pretty deep greenish color like the color of green beens when they have been cooked.

If the colour morphs then at least something will have worked out :lol:

Is there anything I can do to fix the lumps?
Has anyone ever had this?

All advice very welcome :lol:

Thanks x

Once you cut the soap , the lumps might be just fine , soap can surprise us . I have heard of people stickblending right in the mold , you would lose your color though. If you really don't like it , a rebatch would be the only option :(

Kitn

krissy said:

Krissy, you can use food coloring for color?!!! I had read somewhere that they don't work for some reason, but have wanted to try it anyways!!!

I am search of something to make pink soaps without having to order online! :roll: maybe the red will work....

off to the lab! er, I mean soap room! :D

And, to the original poster- I'm sorry your soap didn't work, I know eventually it will happen to me too, but I figure then I can try out rebatching.

Why would food coloring be so bad? Does it leave color on your skin or wash cloth?? I'm really wanting to try this but some people are vary against this. I have wiltion colors and really want to try them! Why would this be so bad?????

i dont really know why not to use food color. i have used it in one batch that i love. it doesnt stain my tub or washrags and the batch is only for my family, so i dont have a problem with it.

The books that I've read (and I've read several, my kids think I'm weird for it!) all say that food coloring isn't a good idea, mainly because it's not colorfast. IOW the color doesn't stay, but fades over time. I'd rather work with things (for now) that have been tried before. However, there's no reason not to experiment. Let us know what you discover. :)

Well I tried it! I used the Wilton Iceing coloring. I got really brave and tried to swirl but it got really thick really fast so I'm not so sure how good it's going to look! :shock: I'll post picks when it's out of the mold! Cross your fingers for me!!!

x

amanda131 said:
Well I tried it! I used the Wilton Iceing coloring. I got really brave and tried to swirl but it got really thick really fast so I'm not so sure how good it's going to look! :shock: I'll post picks when it's out of the mold! Cross your fingers for me!!!

sending positive happy thoughts for success with your new batch! :shock:

BTW, i've seen those icing colors at michael's-are they oil or water base?
(check the list of ingredients) they sure have a large selection of colors!

HeartSong, Just looked, They are water based. I had a whole box of them from making my son's first birthday cake. I have like 12 different colors! Hope it works!

Back