Newbie trying to create CP recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuneP

Reaction score
I want to make my own CP recipe for my 3 lb loaf, so I went to one of the lye calculators and put in the ingredients I have on hand. I want a basic soap that will work with dry or normal skin, have acceptable hardness, decent foaming, basic cleaning and some foaming. This is what I came up with but I'm not sure how it fits what I want:

Lye Calculator Results

A solid soap, measured in ounces superfatted by 5%
Oil(s) Selected Amount % Avocado Oil 1.87oz 5.63% Cocoa Butter 4.68oz 14.08% Coconut Oil (Virgin) 5.62oz 16.90% Olive Oil (Pomace) 7.96oz 23.94% Palm Oil 5.62oz 16.90% Shea Butter (Refined) 7.49oz 22.54% 5% Lye (Sodium Hydroxide) Amount 4.525oz
Ounces of liquid recommended 10.97oz
Yields 48.75oz Current Batch (total oil weight): 33.25oz
Resize Batch

Oil Weight gramsounces

Last edited:
Well, as they say, there is only one way to find out if it fits what you want. ;)

-From my perspective, it looks like your soap will be plenty hard and long-lasting.
-It will cleanse perfectly fine and have a 'fair' amount of conditioning (although to be fair, 'fair' is based purely on my own personal perspective/preference according to my skin-type).
-As for the lather, it looks like it will end up more on the creamy side than on the fluffy/bubbly side, and if your water is hard instead of soft, you may have to work at it a little bit to get the lather to foam up (although this is coming from a gal who likes easy-to-lather soap with lots of fluffy bubbles). :)

IrishLass :)

I'll second the Lass. Part of the fun is making the soap, testing it, then reformulating until you find exactly what you're looking for. What I think may be perfect, others would find lacking.

Latest posts

Back