Newbie soap maker query: Melt and pour vs lye based

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzKitten

Reaction score
Hi everyone
I'm fairly new here, after posting in the massage bars section of this forum I've decided to make some soap.
I'm completely new to making soap but I must admit the idea of adding caustic soda to oils, well just the actual existence of caustic soda in my home, seems a bit scary.
I realise that melt and pour is much easier as well as safer than using caustic soda, but are there other reasons I would want to use MAP? It's probably a lot more expensive due to the convenience of it already having been mixed too, and I wondered if anyone could give me a rough estimate on how much more expensive each soap bar would be if i used MAP rather than doing a lye solution.
Thanks everyone, in advance, for any and all advice and help you can give.
Wendy

This will sound very weird but if you can work with using bleach and ammonia from time to time, you can work with either caustic soda or potash. They key to working either lye is to respect it as you would the former two chemicals in terms of family safety and care. However, as far as being able to tell you the cost differences between the two, that's a little out of my league as it can be very variable. Generally, CP or HP soap making is more cost-efficient that using MP.

Melt and pour can be more expensive but it largely depends on where you live, where you buy it, and the quantity you buy. For me, M&P was a good first step into the soaping world. it was a way to get used to weighing things, learning about acceptable usage amounts for fragrance, and practicing designs.

I'll ditto what @Arimara said and encourage you to check out cold process -- respect but don't fear the lye. My long time soaping outfit is similar to my pandemic get up, gloves, face mask or bandana, goggles. I have not had an accident or exposure since I started 3 years ago.

I did melt and pour for years and it is creative and you get to choose scent, color, and design. But I much prefer cold process and wish I had started decades ago!! It's extremely satisfying to watch plain old oils turn into soap! It engages my science, math, and creative sides. And the difference on the health of my skin is nearly miraculous (I no longer spend a fortune on lotions and prescriptions). Plus my kids think I'm a bada-- in my Breaking Bad get-up. :)

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents and wherever you land, good luck! This forum is super supportive and helpful.

As stated above, if you treat lye with respect, (much as bleach or ammonia) then you will be fine. When making your lye water, ALWAYS, ALWAYS pour the lye into the water. DO NOT pour the water over the lye. That's where the respect comes in!! I have been making CP soap for a few years now and I still put on gloves, goggles and a face mask each and every time. You never know when that one time will be that your hand slips or shakes and a few drops or more splash out. Better to be safe than sorry. I also always pour into my sink. (putting the oil bowl into the sink and pouring the lye from the lye pitcher into the oils sitting in the bowl in the sink). lol It was how I first learned and a practice I just continue to repeat. Plus, less mess if you do splash or spill. Thankfully, I have only ever splashed once and that was because the tornado sirens went off and startled me. But I had my protective gear on, so I was safe from the splash. (i did stop briefly until all was well outside though).
So...Wellington Fragrance has a great price on their MP blocks. You can get 10lbs for about $21.00 (plus shipping). Aztec Candle also has the same amount for about $23.00/10lb. plus shipping. I can get about 6 medium sized bars off of 1lb of MP. So roughly my cost before additives and fragrances is about .35/bar.
Now if you are doing a simple CP soap using 26 oz Olive Oil (I live in illinois, we have Kroger's for a grocery store. 33 oz of Kroger brand Olive Oil is roughly $6.50), you will need 1oz Castor Oil (I recommend Scented Expressions Supplies.com You can get 16oz for about $5.00). You will need 6 oz of Coconut Oil ($4.00/16oz at scented expressions). 10oz Distilled Water (under $1.00 at the grocery store) and 4.4oz Lye (about $10.00 for 16 oz at our local hardware store)
I hope that helps some.

I was apprehensive about using lye until I had a few batches of CP soap under my belt. If you take the necessary precautions, then making CP soap will become routine for you.

Latest posts

Back