Newbie Cleanup Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DianaMoon

Reaction score
I did my first batch, and I survived.
I scrupulously observed all the safety measures, until the very end, when....
I cleaned up my equipment (plastic yogurt container in which I mixed the lye, plastic tub in which I measured out the lie, whisk, plastic spoon, stainless steel pot) in the bathtub under lots of cold water. Is this OK?
I made the mistake of doing this with bare hands. I'm OK, but I think that one should wear the gloves even while handling cold water rinsed utensils that lye has been in. My hands are very dry.
I measured my lye in a small plastic container. It was very slick. What's going on there, chemically?
About the batch, I don't know. My real mistake was jumping the gun & doing it with a whisk and not waiting until I bought a stick blender, but whatever, I never did reach trace. I did reach a point where the mix didn't look as if it would separate. Maybe I gave up too easily. The mixture is now in molds in a wooden box outside my apartment.
Thank God, no splashing, and I wore my safety goggles, but I "perceive" that there are fumes in my apartment. All the windows & fans are on. My door is open.
Honest confession: I cannot say that I enjoyed working with lye. I live in a small apartment & if I had my druthers, I'd work with lye outside.
I won't do another batch until I've gotten a stick blender, and a thermometer. I used my instant read for the oil but went by touch with the lye water. Maybe I messed up there.

Yay! Congratulations! I'm new as well, I like the clean up better with HP, for sure. For cp, I have either left my gloves on during clean up, or left the clean up for a couple of days later when things are no longer zappy!!

Buy no longer zappy you mean that the lye has dissipated?

LOL, do you use soap to clean up?
Yes, the lye should dissipate in a day or two, depending. I do Not use soap to clean them up, they will be nice and soapy for you! My problem is keeping 'dirty dishes' out of sight!! DH wouldn't find it amusing! I am guilty of dry lye hands, it can be annoying trying to clean EVERYTHING up with gloves on, so I often clean up the worst of it, get everything at least rinsed, and pull them off. I really shouldn't.

Lye fumes really irritate my eyes, throat, hands, and any bits exposed.. so when i can't mix it outside, i do it on my hob (turned off!) and have the extractor fan on its highest setting before i pour the lye until it's fully dissolved. For the clean up, i leave everything out of sight for a few days, then leave it to soak in water for a while, i fing it much easier than clean straight after soaping.

Lye fumes really irritate my eyes, throat, hands, and any bits exposed.. so when i can't mix it outside, i do it on my hob (turned off!) and have the extractor fan on its highest setting before i pour the lye until it's fully dissolved. For the clean up, i leave everything out of sight for a few days, then leave it to soak in water for a while, i fing it much easier than clean straight after soaping.

It's times like these that I wish I lived in the country. I'd put the stuff outside to saponify & let all the lye dissipate, etc. then clean up. But the best I can do is put my utensils in my bathtub & stay away from them. Soap making instrux should deal with cleanup as much as making soap.

I enjoy this hobby a lot but I do not like being around lye in a small apartment - I was very careful and there were no splashes (although I can easily see how even the most careful person could accidentally splash, but that's another story), but even averting my face I "felt" the lye. Does anyone else feel that way?

Next time I'm getting a respirator mask for chemical fumes, just for the mixing step. I stood as far away as I could with averted face & still "felt" it.

Is it even necessary to mix? Won't the lye mix of its own accord?

PS When I comment here using Microsoft Edge, I can't add paragraph breaks. When I comment using Chrome, I can. Go figure!!

Last edited:
I also wait a day or two to clean up my soaping dishes. I scrape the bowls as much as possible, and wipe the bowls, spatulas, stick blender, etc with paper towels. Wearing gloves and goggles still. When it's time to wash, I wear gloves, use Dawn dishwashing soap and HOT water. My lye pitcher I just rinse with water.

I don't know what would happen if you didn't stir the lye, but it seems to me that some of it would clump up on the bottom and not dissolve properly. I wear a respirator mask when I mix. You will get more used to working with lye - you've only just made your first batch. And congratulations on that!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to do that. I was quite concerned yesterday about those fumes.

Do you think that this is adequate?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3M-8577CA1...470230&hash=item1c9a6bb846:g:xHYAAOSwh1haKfUU

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052EA7NY/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Thanks!

I don't have good ventilation where I mix my lye solution. I have this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BT2SWTE/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

And here is a link to DeeAnna's advice on choosing a respirator mask: https://classicbells.com/soap/respirator.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Mixing water and sodium hydroxide I use the bathroom sink and fan. The sink just in case so it's already to just wash down the drain and the fan for the fumes. And long arms so my face is back as far as possible from the rising fumage.

I never clean anything except the lye pot the same day. I rinse that 4 cup plastic out thoroughly while still wearing the soaping PPE's. Next day ( or three) I come back and wash the soap out of the other cups and mold. Uncured soap dries my old skin so it is wise to glove up. I don't always because sometimes I think I have a big red "S" on my chest.

The more you handle and walk around with lye solution the more chance of an accident, such as tripping when you come inside. I mix a gallon or two or lye at a time and just keep back a little from the container. Unless you have a fan blowing across the container the fumes usually go straight up in the air and last only a few seconds. It really is the safest to mix your lye in the sink in case the container leaks or a volcano happens. If you have a vent fan close to your sink turn it on because it will draw the fumes up. Granted I do not live in a small apartment rather a very open house, I only know when I first started I would go out on my deck and mix my lye to avoid fumes. I managed to trip once and almost dropped the container when I was carrying it in, that ended the mixing outside. Turn your head, turn on a vent fan and or hold your breath.

For cleaning up I wipe all containers out with old rags, which I put in a bucket for a couple of day so the batter turns to soap then throw them in the washer or I wipe them out with paper towels and wash my buckets and utensils in plain green soap with a some degreaser added in. Always wear gloves since you are working with raw batter. Since I am pretty OCD when it comes to dirty dishes I even wash all my soaping utensils/equipment between each batch. I initially wash them in a large bucket before putting in the sink to finish washing, the bucket of oily soapy water goes over the bank in my forest of bamboo or where ever I happen to see a concentration of white flys, which I very seldom have problems with now

Thank you, everyone, for all this great information - and I'm horrified that I came out of yesterday's experience without an accident.

"The more you handle and walk around with lye solution the more chance of an accident..."

True. Not understanding what this was all about, I mixed the lye on the window sill of my LR. The reason being I thought the lye fumes would flow out of the window. That created a potential tripping situation when I held the lye/water container & brought it to my kitchen - not far away, but still, far enough to trip & spill. I didn't but still, never again!

I don't have long arms, alas, but I can spring for a mask, which I will use, and a much longer stick/wand to mix the lye & water.

"Unless you have a fan blowing across the container the fumes usually go straight up in the air and last only a few seconds. "

This is (somewhat) reassuring, and useful.

In short: don't put your head directly over the mix, use a mask, use something long to mix, and have the oil so that you mix directly after the lye reaches proper temperature.

Leave the utensils to saponify & clean up using safety gear.

PS - keep working area clear of everything that doesn't have to do with soaping.

Mixing lye solution is my least favorite part of making soap.:eek: That's why I master-batch it in a large enough quantity that will last me through making about 7 to 8 batches of soap spread out over several months (lye solution, if stored properly, will last indefinitely- we're talking years). Instead of going through the hassle of making a fresh batch of lye solution each time I soap, I only need to mix up a master-batch of lye about 2 or 3 times a year.

I mix mine outside in my garage. I set my PP#5 mixing container down inside of a large, flat-bottomed stainless steel bowl (in case of accidental spills), and I mix with my gloves and goggles on (always).

To avoid breathing in any of the irritating fumes, I use a makeshift mask made up of three large, tightly woven, triple-ply cotton diapers stacked on top of each other then vertically folded over in triplets like a letter, and then folded in half horizontally, which makes for at least 36 layers of protection. I hold that over my mouth and nose with one gloved hand while I stir with the other.

Cleanup- not wanting to waste any of my soap batter, I've become very adept at squeegeeing just about every last drop of it out of my pot and off my stick-blender/utensils with a rubber spatula and into my mold. Any minor soapy/oily residue left behind on them gets a cursory wipe-down with a paper towel before I wash them up in my sink with hot soapy water.

The washing 'soap' that I use for this task is 1 part Dawn Ultra mixed with 3 parts vinegar. I always keep a container of this homemade concoction handy in the cupboard underneath my sink. It works great at cutting through oily residue (and is also an excellent pre-wash for getting oil stains out of clothing).

As for my lye solution container- I never wash it with soapy water since lye is a powerful cleaner in and of itself- I just rinse it out with hot water and let it drain.

IrishLass :)

I concur. I don’t like mixing lye either, but it’s a necessary evil. I mix about a gallon at a time, which is enough to last me a few weeks. I sometimes do marathon lye sessions where I dedicate the day to making my NaOH and KOH (and sugar) solutions. I always have tons of #2 containers around due to the amount of distilled water I go through (liquid soap sells). Right now I have 2 gallon jugs sort of half filled with NaOH 50% solution, one gallon jug with 50% KOH solution, and one gallon jug with 33% sugar solution. I’m thinking in about four weeks I will need to mix more if I keep up the soaping pace.

When I'm being impatient, Dawn dish liquid gets my soap dishes squeaky clean. Other times I just stick everything in a tote. The soap saponifies while everything is hidden from DH's sight. I think we're all guilty of not wearing our gives when we should. I've also had my share of dry lye hands.

I use these. I found the pitcher in a resale shop for $1 a few years ago. I weigh out my lye in the small container & mix it in the pitcher.
1519593354418.jpeg

Latest posts

Back