Newbie Cleanup Questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do not master batch yet, but I notice alot of people use laundry detergent bottles (cleaned out of course).
When I do decide to master batch, that is what I will use.

I use the bottles that my distilled water comes in. Benefit: I don’t need to wash them out.

When I make my master-batch solution, I mix it in a PP #5 Rubbermaid pitcher. It looks like the one in the pic SoapAddict145 posted, only mine is a translucent/frosted color. When my solution has completely cooled off, I transfer it to its long-term storage container, which for me is a reclaimed Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent bottle made of sturdy HDPE #2, with a no-drip pour spout (and tight-fitting screw-top cover, of course).

IrishLass :)

When I make my master-batch solution, I mix it in a PP #5 Rubbermaid pitcher. It looks like the one in the pic SoapAddict145 posted, only mine is a translucent/frosted color. When my solution has completely cooled off, I transfer it to its long-term storage container, which for me is a reclaimed Arm & Hammer liquid laundry detergent bottle made of sturdy HDPE #2, with a no-drip pour spout (and tight-fitting screw-top cover, of course).

I'm about to ask you a real newbie question. Doesn't the concentration of lye to water change depending on the kind of soap you make? Or do you use the same concentration over and over again?

I'm about to ask you a real newbie question. Doesn't the concentration of lye to water change depending on the kind of soap you make? Or do you use the same concentration over and over again?

I was waiting for that excellent question to come up. :) I thought about adding a word about it in my post, but thought better of it in case it turned into information overload. lol

To answer your question, yes, I do use different concentrations at different times depending on things, and that's where the beauty of master-batching with a 50% lye concentration comes into play. With a 50% master-batched lye concentration it's super easy to do the math it takes to adjust the master-batch solution to match whatever different lye concentration I want to use in my soap batch. All it takes is about 15 seconds (if that) to perform a simple, 2-part elementary math equation, and voila- I now know how much extra water I need to add to my batch.

Edited to add an earlier post on how I do the math:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-bulk-lye-for-multiple-batches.26634/#post-253997

Last edited:
Thank you.

BTW, a little soap making humor. I was looking around for info about adding borax to soap, because I have it and ran across something from "SQ" (I haven't been here long so I don't' know the politics of quoting soi-disant soap experts), and she wrote: "I recommend handling borax with protective gear, like gloves."

I LOL'd at that, because of my extreme squeamishness about using lye. I was raised using 20 Mule Team brand in my laundry, have used it all my life & have no fear of it. I grab handfuls of it out of a big bag to put in a smaller bag to take with me to the laundry. Not that I'll ever lose my healthy respect of lye.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to ask those who mix up batches & store them.

Many of us who make and store lye solution use repurposed laundry detergent bottles that have been rinsed out really well. I mix a 50/50 lye/water in a pitcher then pour into the laundry bottle when cooled.

I use the bottles that my distilled water comes in. Benefit: I don’t need to wash them out.
Hm. My distilled water bottle is very thin plastic. The laundry soap bottle, while smaller, is much thicker.

I was waiting for that excellent question to come up. :) I thought about adding a word about it in my post, but thought better of it in case it turned into information overload. lol

To answer your question, yes, I do use different concentrations at different times depending on things, and that's where the beauty of master-batching with a 50% lye concentration comes into play. With a 50% master-batched lye concentration it's super easy to do the math it takes to adjust the master-batch solution to match whatever different lye concentration I want to use in my soap batch. All it takes is about 15 seconds (if that) to perform a simple, 2-part elementary math equation, and voila- I now know how much extra water I need to add to my batch.

Edited to add an earlier post on how I do the math:

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/making-bulk-lye-for-multiple-batches.26634/#post-253997

"Excellent question..." I feel complimented - my question shows I'm beginning to catch on. Now, my next question will sound really clueless.

DeeAnna pointed out in another thread that 33% means 1 part lye, 2 parts water. That may seem to a self-explanatory to a numerate person, & of course, she's right, but if she hadn't pointed that out, I was looking at this way (i.e. wrong) - in the SoapCalc forumua, a 33% lye solution has twice the amount of water to lye.

Is a 50% solution 1 part lye, 1 part water (50/50 = 100)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant to ask those who mix up batches & store them.

I use the old 2 kg bottles that the lye came in when I bought small amounts. They are great because the are a “5” rating (in the triangle on the bottom), they have a child proof lid and the label is right (although I add more notes about the mix.)

Yes a 50% solution is one part lye to one part distilled water.

I do the same as penelopejane and keep my masterbatched lye in the 2-pound bottles from Essential Depot that the lye crystals came in when I ordered lye from them. They are sturdy HDPE plastic, seal tightly with the child proof lid and already labelled as lye and all the hazardous warning on there. All I had to do was add "50% NaOH solution" and I also include the date made because my past professions have made me compulsive that way.

Since I have not used liquid laundry detergent in decades, I don't have any of those bottles, so never even thought of using one. I wouldn't want to anyway because at my age with my diminishing strength and weakening hands, I don't feel it would be wise for me to lift a heavy container of lye solution and attempt to pour from even a one-gallon container.

Another problem w/the liquid laundry bottles is the strong perfume from the detergent. I'll be looking around for another option.

Slight change of topic - when you master batch, do you simply count the mix (whatever the lye % level) as the water weight?

Another problem w/the liquid laundry bottles is the strong perfume from the detergent. I'll be looking around for another option.
Just make sure they are thoroughly washed out and clean, and then you can give them a good vinegar rinse and they should be fine. Even if there is still a faint scent leftover, it will not come through the lye solution.

I use unscented liquid laundry detergent, so any lingering, leftover fragrance is a non-issue where my container is concerned (no smell at all).

what do people think of this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D7E70I/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It's described as HDPE but doesn't give the hardness number.

That looks to be a fine, sturdy bottle. The only thing I don't like about it is that the opening does not have a 'no drip' pouring spout, meaning that there's more chance of the lye dribbling down the outside of the container when you pour. With the 'no drip' spout on my laundry detergent bottle, all my dribbles get channeled back into the container, which I find to be a very nice feature.

Slight change of topic - when you master batch, do you simply count the mix (whatever the lye % level) as the water weight?

Yes- use equal weights of lye and water for a 50/50 master-batch.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Yes- use equal weights of lye and water for a 50/50 master-batch."

Right, but that's not my question. I'll have to explain this step by step because I'm not sure what even I mean, LOL.

I have a master batch which is already 33%. My Soap Calc is based on that 33%. I don't have to measure out water and lye - because I'm using a premix. So how much of it do I use?

Do I measure out whatever the water as percent of oil weight is?

I created a recipe that came to 444 grams. Water as percent of oil weight is 29.67. That would be 131.7 grams. Is that how much of the master batch I'd use?

Latest posts

Back