new here, got a couple of questions

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amanda_hughes

Reaction score
Hi. I made my first batch of cp soap today. After I got it into the mold I put it right into the fridge. It has been in there about an hour n a half to 2 hrs. I just took it out. I noticed the center is darker than the outside. Is it going thru the gel phase? Should I leave it in the fridge longer? I have tried looking thru the forum but couldnt find anything. Here is what I used- olive I'll, coconut oil, grapeseed oil and sunflwer oil. I used concentrated paprika to color it and als used peach and franckincense fragrance oils to scent it and also added apricot seeds for exfoliating. Any feedback would be nice. Thanks!

It sounds to me like you got partial gel. 'Twon't hurt anything, but you might not like the "bull's eye" pattern of your bars.

Yes, it is gelling. If it was your first batch, you likely soaped warm, and only putting it in the fridge merely slowed down the gelling. Putting it into the freezer for 24-48 hours is better if you want to avoid gel if you're soaping warmer. Since you only left it in the fridge for under 2 hours, it may go ahead and finish gelling. Otherwise, yes, you'll get the partial gel ring, but its merely a cosmetic difference and depending on formula/colors, it may cure out to be the same shade all the way.

Yes, a great tip I found here is to put your mold into the freezer before you start soaping. Then pull it out just before you pour your mold, and put it right back in the freezer. Then keep it there, like VanessaP said, for at least 24-48 hours. Then keep in mind that it will be even another 24-48 hours before you can unmold/cut it. Well, not that much before you can unmold it, but definitely before you cut it.

Excellent advise all around. Lotus makes a good point about keeping your soap in the mold longer. Gelling speeds up saponification but if you chill your soap to prevent it then saponification takes long. Non gelling makes wonderful soap but you have to wait longer to unmold and cut the bars. It's like delaying Christmas an extra day or two. Your soap coloring and scent should be beautiful!

Thanks for the advice everyone. moody, I really hope it turns out. The smell is amazing! The paprika colored the soap a beautiful peach color. I wish I could upload a picture because it looks so good still but my phone won't let me. :(

Thanks for the advice everyone. moody, I really hope it turns out. The smell is amazing! The paprika colored the soap a beautiful peach color. I wish I could upload a picture because it looks so good still but my phone won't let me. :(

Yes! I've been having issues uploading from my phone lately, too. And I didn't have that problem before. Just all of a sudden like.

Ahhhh...partial gel has plagued me until last night actually. The advice of putting your mold in the freezer worked really well here. I wish you could upload pics! Paprika makes a beautiful color and I bet it smells wonderful!

When did the whole "let's not gel" trend really get rolling?

I tend to gel my soaps b/c I'm not very patient, but I also just don't care too much, either. But, when I started soaping about 5 years ago, all the instructions/advice was to insulate your mold and keep things warm to encourage gel. Now, at least on this forum, everyone seems to be trying to avoid gel.

Like I said, I don't care very much, but I'd prefer a gel phase every time.

When did the whole "let's not gel" trend really get rolling?

I tend to gel my soaps b/c I'm not very patient, but I also just don't care too much, either. But, when I started soaping about 5 years ago, all the instructions/advice was to insulate your mold and keep things warm to encourage gel. Now, at least on this forum, everyone seems to be trying to avoid gel.

Like I said, I don't care very much, but I'd prefer a gel phase every time.

I think some people just like the creamy look of a soap that isn't gelled.

For me personally, it was just a new challenge to work on until I got it right. I feel like I should know about and try everything I possibly can when it comes to soap making. Gel, not gelled, natural colorants, man made colorants, EOs, FOs, vegan (the way I intend to always make), non-vegan.....I just want to try it all because I feel like it will help me in the long run to understand how all of these things work.

Last edited:
I stopped gelling when I started using milk and beer and as a result started having problems with overheating. And actually I do like the color better with non gel. Plus I do not get those ugly cracks in the top.

I really liked the creamy color I achieved before it gelled and wanted to keep it but after staring at it for a while I'm thinking that the partial gel will add a uniqueness to it and still look nice. Fingers crossed.

I prefer gelled CP, myself. I don't insulate and mine generally gels all on its own. I suspect that is why I prefer HP LOL

I got too impatient, go figure, I unmolded my sooap and cut it. It looks great! And smells amazing. If it weren't soap I would want to eat it ;) once I can upload a few pictures I'll post them. I'm going to make another batch of soap this evening.

Hello, my name is Amanda and I'm addicted to soap.

This is my franck'n'peach before cutting:

http:// http://m1279.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Hug_Hes_Amanda/IMG_20130614_132222_zps79d65801.jpg.html?o=5

Here is my cappuccino/nagchampa in the mold:
http:// http://m1279.photobucket.com/albumview/albums/Hug_Hes_Amanda/IMG_20130615_222800_zps9e220486.jpg.html?o=4

This is what they look like now.. the light colored one is the franck'n'peach and the one on the right is my cappuccino/nag champa soap. I colored the cappuccino soap with turmeric and I've noticed its gotten darker as it cures. Is that normal? My franck'n'peach I colored with paprika.

Back