Need tips for horizontal cut

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aunt Polly

Reaction score
Does anyone have any helpful tips on how to cut a 2 lb soap log straight in a horizontal fashion? I want to show the secret swirl in each bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Soap Making

I was thinking the same thing yesterday because I want to try the mantra swirl. Since my cutter from Bud and my miter box cutter won't work cutting horizontally I was thinking that I will have to use a knife. That's got me worried cuz with my hand cutting, it won't be pretty :crazy: I hope we get some tips.

I tried the knife.....not a good method for me, either. I am so afraid of messing up the whole log. Seems like there should be a cutter for this.

After years of soaping, I still can't manage even consistent vertical cuts! :razz: Will be so grateful for any suggestions on consistency in cutting, any way up or down!

Just spit balling here...but I wonder if a hacksaw would work? The blades all have teeth, but I wonder if you could get one fine enough not to show on the loaf???

DH made me a cutter that has a slice at one end at 1" and the other end at 1.25". I place the loaf in the cutter, butt it up against the end block and use a cutter or knife down through the slots he cut. Perfect cut every time. I'll try to post a pix of it but don't have one at this moment. I'm getting ready to go out and work on a batch so will see if I can get a decent pix of it

Could you put something in the loaf mold to raise the loaf up to the height you want then use the top of the mold as a guide? You'd still have to use a knife but at least you would have a guide

wire cheese cutter may work , I lay mine on the side my are flat tops

I haven't done this. But I have seen 3 or 4 cutting videos on youtube. The cutters were wire cheese cutters. They cut a piece off the end, then cut that piece horizontally. I don't know if that makes sense or not! But it looked pretty easy for them. And cutting a smaller piece in half horizontally seems easier than cutting the whole loaf in half all at one time.

I think a wire cheese cutter would work. I'm glad Aunt Polly asked the question. Thanks everyone!

Could you put something in the loaf mold to raise the loaf up to the height you want then use the top of the mold as a guide? You'd still have to use a knife but at least you would have a guide

Obsidian, your idea worked great! I put 2 previously cut bars in bottom of mold, then placed new log on top. This raised log up 1". Then, using top of mold as a guide, I used a cake leveler to slice. After first slice, I removed log and added 2 more previously cut bars so that it was raised another inch. Sliced again. Beautiful!! Thanks!

How about a long cake cutter. It looks like a serrated knife with legs that you can adjust. Most cake making places carry them.

Here you go!! You cut off 2 1/2 inch sections and turn the soap on its side and cut in half. here is my video. My middle color didn't get all the way to the bottom.

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mF9ie3NBhqc&feature=plcp[/ame]

I made one like the one in Savonierres post too. Not too difficult.

Thank you, Barbara! Very helpful! What kind of cutter is that in your video?

Polly my DH made this single cutter for me he got the idea from a cutter on a website called Cumberland Acoustics a Guitar shop in Tennessee they sell this single cutter for $175.00 DH made it for around $45

the cutter is huge like 20 inches long and 12 inches wide

http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id9.html

Last edited:
Back