Need Moisture!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vonna

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has a REALLY moisturizing recipe for a bar of soap and also lotion bars...these are so cool!! Anyone have any suggestions on those?? Going into winter..my skin seems to dehydrate completely and I get so sick of lathering greasy lotions on. Wanna try some other avenues :)

All of the lotion bars I have tried have been greasy (since they're usually made with 1/3 soft oil, 1/3 wax, 1/3 hard oil). It's kind of hard to get the same feeling from them as actual lotion since there usually aren't any other ingredients in them to tone down the greasiness like there are in a lot of lotions. So, if you're sick of greasy lotions like you mentioned, you probably won't like a lotion bar. They are also called massage bars and are meant to be oily that way.

If anyone knows of a non-greasy lotion/massage bar I'd love to hear about it, by the way! I guess it is possible that there are some out there. I just haven't tried any yet.

As far as a moisturizing soap, the most you can really do is superfat your soap. I superfat my soaps by 5% and they're nice. I used to get REALLY dry, scaly legs in the winter (it was gross) and since using my own handmade soap, my legs haven't been dry at all. I don't even put lotion on them and they are no where NEAR as dry as they were before!

HTH!

Hi Vonna,
I used the 1/3 butters , 1/3 wax , 1/3 oils ,with 1 TBSP of cornstarch for 24 oz total ingredients, it really cuts down on the greasy feel . I just sb the cornstarch into the oils before mixing the rest . The oils are a matter of taste , jojoba is very nice , or almond oil, hemp oil , olive oil ,etc. Shea butter is great , mango butter , cocoa butter etc.You can make very small batches just to see what your skin likes. I don't add any fragrance .

HTH

Kitn

Kitn that is so cool - I was thinking cornstarch as well! I add it to my body butter to cut the greasy feeling as well as get the Ole Vera Extract blend with the butters & oils.....works like a charm....

Lindy said:
Kitn that is so cool - I was thinking cornstarch as well! I add it to my body butter to cut the greasy feeling as well as get the Ole Vera Extract blend with the butters & oils.....works like a charm....

The dry flo from the sample co. I posted about is a modified cornstarch .

Kitn

Kitn - I looked into them and requested samples but I guess I wouldn't be ordering enough so they let me know that they can't send out any samples to me.

Kareencook - thanks - I'll look into that one! I really like being able to get away from Stearic Acid if I can because of the bad press it's now getting in the Animal Services world..... :oops:

Latest posts

Back